50 Tube watts college safe?

aussy

• Members

Just wondering if 50 tube watts can come even close to dorm room volume level. I don't care if it sounds crappy really, just trying to figure out if I can sell my blues junior and only use my bassman. Thanks!

• Members
Just wondering if 50 tube watts can come even close to dorm room volume level. I don't care if it sounds crappy really, just trying to figure out if I can sell my blues junior and only use my bassman. Thanks!

is the place big on keep the noise levels down? If so i actually got yelled at by my Ra's a couple times for being too loud and i was using a Vox Da5.:rolleyes::mad:

Im sure if you put it at like 1 or something it would sufice.

• Members

Well the walls are pretty thin, and I'm friends with a lot of my neighbors, so I have to try to be respectful. One of them even said before the end of this year to try to keep it down next year since she shares a wall with me.

Maybe I'll just sell my BJr, keep the bassman in the college's practice space and use my 10 watt marshall practice amp in my room.

edit: Oh btw, I would be keeping the bassman completely clean, though I doubt that changes the answer to my question.

• Members

I have a 50 watt Traynor and a Micro Cube. I lived in a concrete dorm last year, and I could turn up when it wasn't "quiet hours" without people yelling at me. But I had cool people on either side. Depends I guess.

• Members

whatever, I had my Traynor YCV50 in the dorm, and it was fine. The entire year I got only one noise complaint, from a kid across the hall who was trying to sleep at 1am while I was playing with the volume at 4 or 5. My dorm was also an all guys dorm, and a giant cinder block. Depends if your dorm is more of a social/party dorm, or if it's more of a study/quiet dorm.

• Members

Hm, guess I need to test out my amps volume control. God, having no cabinet for this thing is KILLING me. So many of my questions could be answered just by plugging in. I've only played it a few times (at guitar center, they let me test cabs with it) since I bought it. Very depressing...

• Members

I have been using a 50 watt Engl Thunder in my dorm room. No complaints so far. But it all depends on your neighbours. Some people complain about everything and others don't give a damn. I think as long as you don't krank a 50 watt amp, you should be fine. Luckily for me, I have a elevator shaft on one side and a neighbour who's not in her room that much on the other side. I just scored an Ampeg V4 which I will be using in my dorm room after this summer, so I will be testing the limits the first couple of weeks :).

• Members

honestly though, if you just play at normal volume during decent hours you should be cool.

another thing you may consider is using your schools' music dept. practice rooms. the least you can say is no, but you most likely pay student fees to be able to.

• Members

Quick question and I don't feel like making a new thread

Speaker and amp impedance, do they have to match? Can I run my 4 ohm bassman into a 1x12 with a 8 ohm vintage 30? There seriously needs to be a faq about amp impedance.

• Members

Quick question and I don't feel like making a new thread

Speaker and amp impedance, do they have to match? Can I run my 4 ohm bassman into a 1x12 with a 8 ohm vintage 30? There seriously needs to be a faq about amp impedance.

It's always best to match impedance for optimal performance, but it doesn't hurt anything when your speaker's ohm rating is higher than the amp's... all that will mean is that the output of your amp will be diminished. If the scenario was reversed, however, then you could potentially have a problem. When you have a speaker with a lower ohm load than the amp was designed to handle, you run the risk of overheating and damaging your amp.

And if you Google search "amp impedance FAQ" or "speaker impedance FAQ", you will see lots of them.

• Members

It's always best to match impedance for optimal performance, but it doesn't hurt anything when your speaker's ohm rating is higher than the amp's... all that will mean is that the output of your amp will be diminished. If the scenario was reversed, however, then you could potentially have a problem. When you have a speaker with a lower ohm load than the amp was designed to handle, you run the risk of overheating and damaging your amp.

And if you Google search "amp impedance FAQ" or "speaker impedance FAQ", you will see lots of them.

Thanks. The bassman already has much more than enough volume for me (I probably only need like 20-30 tube watts), so I doubt that loss in output will bother me.

• Members

That depends on whether you plan to dime it. If you do, first, I'd get hearing protection. 2nd, well, practically any wattage except 1W is going to be really loud if you dime it.

During the day, people are gonna be in and out so if you get lucky you can turn it up, if not, they will tell you to turn it down.

If you are going to be reasonable and keep it at a less than ear bleed volume then bring any wattage you want.

• Members

Sure, you just can't crank it at all. I managed fine with my Pro Reverb in a dorm. Almost never went above about 2 on the Volume knob. Also, like someone else said, your school might have practice bands for and stuff if you want to play with other people. Next year I'm living off campus, so I get to open the amp up some.:cool:

• Members

Forget about Power Brakes, just pick up an MXR 10 Band EQ and turn the volume on it all the way down. I'm able to rock my 100W Marshall Half Stack in my apartment till 5:00am. It doesn't color tone like power brakes do. It just makes your amp really, really quiet.

Archived