Xotic RC-Booster...worth it?

IRG

• Members

I have a BBE Boosta Grande booster. FIne pedal, just looking for something "more" and something a bit smaller, the BBE pedals are kinda wide. So the RC-Booster looks good on paper, liked the clips I've heard. But at $186, it is expensive. I don't seem the used very often. I could see this perhaps replacing both my boost and eq pedal. WOrth it, or others I should consider?

The MI Audio Boost n Buff looks good, as does the Fullton Fat Boost. Another is the Catalibread booster, especially the SuperChile Picoso. Any others in the under $150 category or is the RC Boost really worth it?

• Members

I just read the reviews here, outstanding. Someone mentioned it easily replaced their MXR 10 band eq, and that's just what I'm thinking of doing. One less pedal to mess with too.

• Members

Yeah it seems like it. I might actually sell my Screwdriver to get it, and maybe a Barber LTD. Would the LTD and the RC Booster be too similar?

No, The LTD has more color and the EQ section is not as good. You don't like the SD? I ordered one from Brad.:)

• Members

No, The LTD has more color and the EQ section is not as good. You don't like the SD? I ordered one from Brad.
:)

I do like it. And I'll probably keep it. I just want to downsize a bit. I'll probably keep the SD as my main OD, the Top Fuel as my distortion, and the RC Booster as my booster/eq pedal. Still deciding on the right fuzz, but it willbe a fuzz face variety, likely the MXR Classic 108. I do like the Euthemyia Crucible Fuzz, Loobster has one and as a clip up, nice stuff.

• Members

I should add, as much as I like the Screwdriver, I also have a Boss OD-3, as sometimes I actually prefer it, more as dirty booster. Both have the uses. Not sure I want to be with only 1 overdrive pedal. The SD is flexible though. I also have a Emma Reeza, and that is flexible too, and it can do some od, but mostly it excels with the rock.

• Members

I should add, as much as I like the Screwdriver, I also have a Boss OD-3, as sometimes I actually prefer it, more as dirty booster. Both have the uses. Not sure I want to be with only 1 overdrive pedal. The SD is flexible though. I also have a Emma Reeza, and that is flexible too, and it can do some od, but mostly it excels with the rock.

The Reeza is cool! My Fuzz of choice is the Mcfuzz.

• Members

The RC Booster is an awesome booster, way better than the Fatboost or the Boost and Buff. That's why you don't see many used ones. You like the OD3 as much as the Screwdriver? I don't even know what to say about that.

• Members

The RC Booster is an awesome booster, way better than the Fatboost or the Boost and Buff. That's why you don't see many used ones. You like the OD3 as much as the Screwdriver? I don't even know what to say about that.

i say bow in amazment to the OD-3. Hangs with the big boys.

• Members

I never turn off my rc boost. The tone seems anemic now without it.

Almost everyone I know who has one says this. I'm saving up for one, after trying it with my rig there is no going back. It adds the right amount of everything. It can take a bad/mediocre/good tone, and turn it into a(n) alright/inspiring/f**king awesome tone.

• Members

Almost everyone I know who has one says this. I'm saving up for one, after trying it with my rig there is no going back. It adds the right amount of everything. It can take a bad/mediocre/good tone, and turn it into a(n) alright/inspiring/f**king awesome tone.

I truly crack up every time I see your avatar.

I have not heard one bad thing about the RC. $186 is cheaper than going through three or four pedals and not being happy with them. Or like FireInCairo, get a used one if one can be found.

• Members

Thanks - it looks like the RC Booster will be a new addition soon.

As far as the OD-3 and Screwdriver, they are different, yet they overlap in some ways. I like the OD-3 a lot when the gain is fairly low, or all the way turned down, the volume just past noon, same with tone. It acts as a real nice dirty boost or light overdrive.

The Screwdriver has a lot more versatility overall. It can act as clean booster, but the OD-3 does the dirty boost thing a little better. But the SD does a better medium gain OD better, and gets into fuzz territory unlike the OD-3. So I probably shouldn't compare them. Both are good. FOr the $60 I paid for the OD-3, it is damn good. For the $170 I paid used for the SD, it is also very good and more versatile, but it is $110 more, so it should be better.

• Members

I actually like the OD3, but I ain't gonna keep it and sell a Screwdriver any time soon.

Yes I would agree with that. I'll probably keep both. The OD-3 will come early in the chain, used basically as a slight dirty boost, especially in conjuntion with some amp dirt. The RC-Boost will be my overall boost and eq, and will come at the end of my chain, right after my volume pedal. Does that make sense? And if it exceeds expectations, the OD-3 might be redundant and removed.

Archived