Best $100 upgrade ever! Promise.

• Members

After trying...

Fender Stock pickups....Lace Holy Grail....Custom Shop 69....Custom Shop Texas Special...... I finally decided it wasnt the tone that was pissing me off, it was the noise!!

Bought a set of SCN pickups, installed....done.

Although the tone is not as boutique as the other ones, it is all the tone I need. The sound of the SCN's I would describe as the sound of the stock pickups...just ultra clear, ultra powerful, and noise-free. I like this because it is a very generic strat sound, and I can color the sound with pedals and EQ to sound like pretty much anything.

Anyways, just my two cents...I love em.

• Members

You got noise with lace sensors (IIRC those are what holy grails are)...

Damn.

No noise with the Lace Holy Grail...but they REALLY sucked. No balls whatsoever, and the 2 and 4 position sounded like someone had just put a mid cut on it...absolutely no balls whatsoever. Those pickups were the worst of the bunch, I would have rather had the stock pickups with lots of noise....

• Members

Supposedly the closest you can get to Kinman noiseless...and honestly, I cant see how they can be any better.

They really make playing fun again. I know that the 69's, and the texas specials sounded a little deeper, but I honestly dont miss it one bit. I can play at any volume I want, I dont have to worry about the hum when I quit playing, and I think I use position 1,3, and 5 more now since I dont have the hum...I used to never switch down to the bridge.....EVER, now I find myself switching down there and grinding a little bit when I am doing a solo!!

Anyways....I love em.

• Members

Thanks for posting. They interest me. I have a Classic 60s strat, and I haven't bonded with it frankly. I have a lutheir who is doing one mod for me now, reversing the polarity of the middle pickup so the 2/4 positions will be noise canceling. But if they don't sound good after this, I might look into this option. How much does a set run? The other ones I'm looking at that get great reviews are the DiMarzio Area '58s and Area '61.

• Members

"sasarium cobalt noisless"

You'll have to check my spelling on that, but they are pickups sold direct from fender

It's Sumarian Cobalt Noiseless. And BTW, they were designed for Fender by Bill Lawrence.

• Members

It's Sumarian Cobalt Noiseless. And BTW, they were designed for Fender by Bill Lawrence.

Ordered a set of Bill Lawrence L-200s for my Strat that I'll be putting in towards late July. From what I hear, these should have be balls of the Fender CS '69 / Kinman Woodstocks with NO NOISE WHATSOEVER. I'm looking forward to it!

• Members

Thanks for posting. They interest me. I have a Classic 60s strat, and I haven't bonded with it frankly. I have a lutheir who is doing one mod for me now, reversing the polarity of the middle pickup so the 2/4 positions will be noise canceling. But if they don't sound good after this, I might look into this option. How much does a set run? The other ones I'm looking at that get great reviews are the DiMarzio Area '58s and Area '61.

I got mine on eBay for 105 shipped. I did a lot of stressing out about how to wire the pickups. Fender offers the S-1 switching system that offers a 10 sound strat. The problem is the wiring system costs 89 bucks from Stratosphere on eBay, and it looks hard to install, and some people complained about the S-1 switch sticking. The other question mark was what pots to install to make them sound their best...

I decided that since I usually dont want a humbucker type sound, I would just wire the strat up like a normal strat. I did wire the 2nd tone control to control the bridge, and I am glad I did...the bridge pickup on the SCN's is one of the best I have heard, but it has got some serious ice pick highs. I looked on the Fender site and they just wired these things with 250K pots and the greasebucket tone circuit to retain the highs when volume is turned down. They have plenty of chime and sound great.

Archived