Vox Pathfinder 15r. Discuss.

frankiej

• Members

if you want a simple, all tube amp that can be modded and upgraded easily, the Epi valvle juniors are better. other than that, the pathfinders are numero uno.

i thought about that but it needs to be rather on the quite side since id be bringing this to college with me. If you know what i mean.

Also is the 15R loud enough to jam with people? Id imagine it is.

• Members

I have a Pathfinder 15R that I use for practice and occasionally rehearsals or very small gigs. It's an excellent amp for the money, especially for the clean sounds - lots of sparkle and chime. I'm not as crazy about it's distortion, but I use pedals for that anyway. It's ok for crunch or mild overdrive, but it's definitely not high gain. Overall, I highly recommend the Pathfinder, although I've been using it a bit less since buying a Fender Super Champ XD. The Fender has a lot more going for it, however it's twice the price.

• Members

I have a Pathfinder 15R that I use for practice and occasionally rehearsals or very small gigs. It's an excellent amp for the money, especially for the clean sounds - lots of sparkle and chime. I'm not as crazy about it's distortion, but I use pedals for that anyway. It's ok for crunch or mild overdrive, but it's definitely not high gain. Overall, I highly recommend the Pathfinder, although I've been using it a bit less since buying a Fender Super Champ XD. The Fender has a lot more going for it, however it's twice the price.

ya thats what ive heard for the most part. I think its down to the Epi Jr combo and the 15r.

The thing that is making me consider the Epi is that is very moddable from what im hearing. Even though ive heard its a good amp alone.

• Members

ok....im also considering the Epi Jr Combo.

Its only about 30 bucks more. Looking for cleans only...going to run about 5 pedals into either of the amps.

Get the Pathfinder! Seriously, this is my apartment amp and I love it. GREAT clean sounds to slightly gritty od. "Distortion/boost" is terrible and the reverb isn't very good either (tremolo is actually pretty good!). For distortion, I use a RAT pedal and it sounds fantastic.

Also, especially for dorm use, it has a head-phone jack. If I want to play later in the evening and not disturb anyone I plug in headphones-- doesn't sound as good but sometimes necessary. It also has a line-out so you can connect it to a cab if you need more volume.

I can't imagine a better and more practical practice amp for your needs.

• Members

Oh what, you think you can just say "talk monkey, talk!" and I will start frantically typing about the topic of your choice?! Do you?

:)

Kidding. Yes the Pathfinder 15r is all that and a bag of chips. For a solid-state amp, nothing can touch it in terms of bang for your buck. Built-in reverb and tremolo. Optional footswitch. Tube-like tone (sorta-kinda).

I would go for the Valve Jr if you have the ability to crank her up good and loud but if you can't, the Pathfinder is a fine substitute. IMO, best practice amp out there as far as solid-state goes.

• Members

Oh what, you think you can just say "talk monkey, talk!" and I will start frantically typing about the topic of your choice?! Do you?

:)

Kidding. Yes the Pathfinder 15r is all that and a bag of chips. For a solid-state amp, nothing can touch it in terms of bang for your buck. Built-in reverb and tremolo. Optional footswitch. Tube-like tone (sorta-kinda).

I would go for the Valve Jr if you have the ability to crank her up good and loud but if you can't, the Pathfinder is a fine substitute. IMO, best practice amp out there as far as solid-state goes.

hahah.

Ill probably be able to crank it sometimes. Ill have to start to visit some places. Only problem is i havent found one store that has a Pathfinder in it.

• Members

hahah.

Ill probably be able to crank it sometimes. Ill have to start to visit some places. Only problem is i havent found one store that has a Pathfinder in it.

Sometimes. But most of the time its bedroom levels? Get the Pathfinder. Has gain and master volume. You'll spend more for the Epi if you're gonna buy an attenuator.

• Members

Sometimes. But most of the time its bedroom levels? Get the Pathfinder. Has gain and master volume. You'll spend more for the Epi if you're gonna buy an attenuator.

Is the Epi really that loud? I think i maybe underlooking how loud it is.

• Members

Its got only one control. So if you want a bit dirt, then you gotta crank it. If not, you're not using the tubes to its fullest. Might as well get a non-tube.

well like i said. Im going to be running a small pedal board through it either way and my only concern is really the cleans.

• Members

well like i said. Im going to be running a small pedal board through it either way and my only concern is really the cleans.

Oh. I could imagine the Valve jr having not much clean headroom though. But I may be wrong. Do I sound like a Vox salesman? I'm not but I firmly believe in the Pathfinder's capabilities. :thu:

• Members

Oh. I could imagine the Valve jr having not much clean headroom though. But I may be wrong. Do I sound like a Vox salesman? I'm not but I firmly believe in the Pathfinder's capabilities.
:thu:

Dont worry about it man. I suggest my Ac15 all the time. Ill have to see if i can go try both of them out. I think im going to be torn on this one though.

Archived