Noise Reduction pedals?

MacTown09

• Members

So do they eliminate feedback? I get a whole bunch at higher volume and would love to cut it out, will a Noise Reduction pedal do the trick? Can you reccomend a good one or something that will get rid of my feedback? i am right now looking at the iSP pedal.

• Members

well right now i am using a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, if you dont know its got EMG 707's in it, a Valveking 100 head with the gain all the way up and a BBE Sonic Maximizer (which does wonders, i highly reccomend one). I usuall run the head at 4 Ohms into my B-52 4X12, should i maybe switch to 8 ohms and just run the paralell outputs i have into the stereo cab?

• Members

well i think with any amp youll get feedback if you max the gain and then boost it some more.

I dont think youd get all the noise out but some of the hiss will probably come out. And yes the ISP would probably be the best option.

• Members

well are you sure that its supposed to happen? why would they have it if it just is going to sound bad? I really cant take out any gain, i have gone through many different tone changes and less gain just is not an option. What about that Behringer thing called the Feedback Eliminator? does anyone have experience with that?

• Members

well are you sure that its supposed to happen? why would they have it if it just is going to sound bad? I really cant take out any gain, i have gone through many different tone changes and less gain just is not an option. What about that Behringer thing called the Feedback Eliminator? does anyone have experience with that?

Even with a Noise Suppressor, if you have your gain at 10 your GOING to get feedback.

• Members

well what do you reccomend? turning the gain down? how does one get a heavy and thick and grinding tone with low gain? and i am not trying to be a little smart kid, i am being completly honest. What should i do to my sound?

• Members

yea but that will end up thinning out my tone wont it? If i have too much at the front and nothing inside, then it will be really tone and cause a lot of feedback. You need a balance between the front and the insides, doesnt it make sense to have high gain and EMG's then? They go together. Thats the reason high gain amps have a bad clean channel and high gain pickups are a little junky on the clean side

• Members

yea but that will end up thinning out my tone wont it? If i have too much at the front and nothing inside, then it will be really tone and cause a lot of feedback. You need a balance between the front and the insides, doesnt it make sense to have high gain and EMG's then? They go together. Thats the reason high gain amps have a bad clean channel and high gain pickups are a little junky on the clean side

First off High gain amps can have a great clean channel, secondly pull back on the gain. Throwing a boost in front of the amp will help tighten the amp, which will allow you to fatten the sound, I would go with an OD pedal since you want to get more gain eg. Bad Monkey/OD-3/OCD/tube screamer. I have played on a VK head, and IMO it worked best with the gain pulled down and boosted, also if you grabbed an EQ pedal you could tweak the head alot more.

With Peavey amps there is a huge mid hump, this will fool you into thinking there isn't enough gain, as for the "balance issue" you want to push the tubes from the front, giving them more of a push this will increase the gain as it cascades through the circuit.

So to sum up, cut back the gain on the amp, and boost it.

• Members

Well the Valveking isn't really a high gain amp, but with certain amps I will use Mesa Recto as an example, you want the thick sound it can produce, but it will get a bit mushy if not dialed in just right, or you just want that extra tightness without loosing all that low end, so you boost it, push the tubes and for some reason you get a much tighter more focused sound, and increased sustain.

If you dime the gain on any amp, you are going to get alot of feedback, and unwanted noise. Just find a decent level for the gain and drop it a bit, and then throw in a boost. I would say grab a Bad Monkey, it has a seperate EQ so you can tighten, or loosen up on your sound, and eventually figure out what boost you want, or need.

• Members

and what other pedals can you recomend? I am trying to get a sorta high gain tone, like rusty cooley or Unearth or like Killswitch?

I would get an OD to help push the amp into heavier distortion without turning the gain up that high, it will also tighten it up. A EQ pedal would also be very useful.

• Members

I would also say that you should back down the gain to get a heavier sound. More gain tends to add more treble, in my experience, which actually makes your sound seem much thinner.

• Members

I myself use the MXR 10 band in my loop, and for an OD for the sounds you are looking for I believe both bands run a Maxon OD808 as boosts, but I may be mistaken.

Also, I once had a BBE Sonic Maximizer, and found it best in the loop, and the best sounds I got from it was by not maxing it, but only turning the knobs slightly, by maxing it you actually will thin out your sound, the trick is to use just as much as you need, start slow and add very little, it is a very sensitive pedal.

But I will say that you won't quite get the sound you are looking for until you move up to a higher gain head, the VK is very much a decent amp, but it is not going to get you the sound you are looking for, it has a much more "classic" gain sound, where you seem to be looking for a much more modern sound.

Archived