How high gain is the MI Audio tube zone???

Dolf

• Members

Unless I'm mistaken, it'll get up there in the Crunch Box Range. From what I've heard though, it's a major bitch to tweak. 6 external knobs and internal trimpots??? :eek:

I say -- buy a Crunch Box and Blues Pro and be done with it. Maybe not quite as versatile, but owning the two pedals would arguably be more functional than just the one since you'd have two distinct sounds rather than just one. Plus, the BPO & CB play very nicely with eachother.

• Members

I've heard about the tweaking issues too. Crunchbox is a good pedal, not super versatile. Not to spam, but if you're interested, I might be selling an Emma Reeza soon. Great pedal, it is versatile, very rawk, even good for dirty blues. And you can find great tones easily and quickly. I need to downsize my dirt pedals, and this one might go. I'm getting a Skreddy Top Fuel in a while, hoping there is some overlap in these two pedals.

• Members

Hmm....can't watch videos at work, but I'll make sure I hit it when I get home.

So, wait.

Is it a tweaker in that there are a LOT of useable sounds in it?

OR

Is it a tweaker in that you have to play with it forever just to get one or two good sounds? Because that always pisses me off.

• Members

I got a Tube Zone about a month ago and it has proven to be a pain - I also already own a Crunch Box. When I first got it I just couldn't get a decent tone out of it when I added any sort of gain, it just sounded buzzy to me. I haven't had a chance yet to sit down with it for any length of time and start tweaking but from the sound clips I've heard I know there are some decent tones to be had out of it if you tweak enough. But I do get the impression that it is very sensitive to the guitar and amp you use.

The Crunch Box on the other hand was easy to tweak to get a good sound out of it. When I first got it I though it sounded a bit synthetic for my liking. It gave me the same sort of impression as the Sonic Maximizer eventually gave me. But the presence trimpot inside the pedal is really important and I found when I dropped the presence down it lost the unnatural sound and now it gives me exactly what I wanted out of it and gives me a great alternative to the dirt channels on my amps. It's a great pedal and a very reasonable price.

• Members

I recently acquired an older 3 knob version...the one without the internal trim pots and the two way mids switch. I find it much easier to work with than the six knob version I sold a few months ago, I find it very usable and not synthetic sounding at all. In this case I think that too many options could be a negative. If you can find one of the older ones try it out, they're good deals also since it's the "older model".

• Members

You have to play with it forever just to get one or two good sounds.

:thu:

Haven't played it, but this seems to be the verdict from most. Obviously, there are some satisfied users out there, but I've always stayed away from it because of the rumors.

• Members

Haven't played it, but this seems to be the verdict from most. Obviously, there are some satisfied users out there, but I've always stayed away from it because of the rumors.

If you get one or even two really good sounds out of a pedal that's respectable considering the merry go round some pedals are on around here!

• Members

*weep*

Hmm...I'm thinking. If I try one, I'm going to have to try one of the three-knob versions.

• Members

I got the V2 a couple months ago, it has 3 knobs, 3 internal trims and a 3 way mids switch. So far I like it. I set the trims where I liked them when I first got it and haven't touched them again yet. I think it actually would work better for most people like this, you have the tweekability if you want it but you can also leave the internals alone once you get them where you like them and not have to worry about too many knobs. It sounds good through a wide range of gain, much better at low gain than I expected. I don't use high gain alot but that sounds good too, very smooth. The V2's go for pretty reasonable prices since they "only" have 3 knobs.

• Members

Toneczar Openhaus FTW

Bank-breaker, though.

I don't need teh brewtalz...I just need a highish gain pedal so that I don't have to stack two overdrives for rhythm stuff.

I LOVE stacking drive pedals for solos....just love it, but it tends to add a bit much in the volume department when I do it for rhythm as well.

• Members

I don't need teh brewtalz...I just need a highish gain pedal so that I don't have to stack two overdrives for rhythm stuff.

I LOVE stacking drive pedals for solos....just love it, but it tends to add a bit much in the volume department when I do it for rhythm as well.

Doesn't have to be brootalz. It can do medium/low gain stuff too.

• Members

I've just been having a play around with the Tube Zone and specifically the internal presence. I've found that when I turn the presence right down (fully clockwise), coaxing a nice tone out of it is a lot easier. It does sound quite bottom heavy but the combination of tone and brightness control with the character knob can quite easily get a sound I'm happy with. So like the Crunch Box it seems the presence control is ultimately important to getting a pleasing tone out of it.

I think one issue for me may be the amp I have been using it with is my Engl and I think it has quite a lot of clean boost at the preamp, which can cause some pedals to sound fizzy. I'll have to give it a try with my other amps too.

• Members

Because the BPO is better?
:idk:
:poke:
:lol:

:rolleyes:

:confused::confused:

:idea:

:cop::cop::cop:

Archived