WTF??? Post office won't ship a guitar?

Crxsh

• Members

So I worked out a deal with a guy here -- I'm gonna trade him my Squier Thinline Tele and a little bit of cash for his Epiphone Dot. He shipped out Saturday and long story short (I was at the P.O. for about 20 minutes), I go to my local Post Office to mail out the guitar this morning and they tell me it's too large to ship and that they can't do it.

:mad:

I've got it in a standard Martin acoustic shipping box -- not in some monstrosity -- and the real bull{censored} is that I shipped a guitar AT THE SAME PLACE a couple weeks ago. The box was just a bit smaller IIRC, but I already shipped a Strat in a molded case, so why can't I ship a tele in a Gig Bag.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

• Members
Try going back to get served by someone else, or maybe try another post office? You probably jut got some militant dickhead following the rules to the letter because he didn't get any last night.

She did look a little pent up. :lol:

• Members

Try going back to get served by someone else, or maybe try another post office? You probably jut got some militant dickhead following the rules to the letter because he didn't get any last night.

+1 ... I would think you could get it shipped at another PO. People ship guitars USPS all the time. That sucks, though. Last time I used Fed Ex to ship a guitar it was ungodly expensive.

• Members

Totally off topic, but my singer got refused to buy a bottle of beer at nandos in cardiff, to accompany 4 of us who were eating there. So he bought a drink from a pub and brought it over, then later on a more superior member of staff came out and apologised and offered to get him a drink.

You just have to pick the right staff sometimes, so yeah just nag them and explain youve already done it once.

• Members

You just have to pick the right staff sometimes, so yeah just nag them and explain youve already done it once.

I agree. This wasn't the person I usually deal with, but unfortunately -- the geniuses that run this place decided to only have one person report for work today. I was in there for 20 minutes or more ..... at least 10 people came and left. The line was 6 deep when I left.

• Members

I sent my wife in to mail off a keyboard for me and the woman at the post office said that it was too big to be sent priority and had to be sent parcel post. Then half way through the transaction she tells my wife that it was be way too expensive anyway. Of course my wife just went with it.
So of course I looked it up on the internet and the box was not too big so I called the post office and the woman remembered my wife. I asked why it was considered too big and she said that it wasn't too big, it would just be too expensive. So of course I asked how much and said that she could take a look at how much it would cost (obviously WAYYYY too much). So she called me back in 10 minutes and told me that it was only $.03 difference so she switched it over!

I've also been told that they would not insure a box because it bulged a little. So I had to put it in another box.

• Members

Usually (in my experience) UPS is about $15 cheaper to ship big items than USPS.

However, UPS is about $10 more expensive to ship small items.

I use both, depending on what I'm shipping.

Yeah. It'll cost you about twice as much to ship a guitar via UPS.

Squier tele in a gig bag via UPS -- $40

Fender Strat in a molded case via USPS -- $23

• Members

If it's over a certain size, USPS wont ship it. Most guitar manufacturers get their boxes to be just under those limits.

I've always found FedEx way cheaper for bigger/heavier things--acoustics in cases or amps.

• Members

You actually can ship it USPS if it's oversized. It just costs a hell of a lot more.

I tried to ship an acoustic in a box once and it was going to cost $80 or something for being one inch oversize. I just took it out of the box, taped around the hard case really well, and shipped it like that.

• Members

USPS changed it's shipping rules this year. Parcels can be no larger than 130 inches in combined length (longest dimension) and circumference (what they call "girth"). A guitar can usually (not always) be packed to fit in a box that meets these requirements.

International shipments are more restricted. Combined length and girth can't exceed 108 inches. To meet this requirement, you often have to remove the neck.

• Members

^ ^ ^ Stupid new rule.

Either way, I shipped it FedEx -- only cost me $24. Had I known that, I would've gone that way in the first place ... although, the P.O. is closer to my house -- so maybe not.

• Members

Anyone have a weight estimate on a strat in a soft case? I tried getting a quote to ship to Canada and kept getting prices over $100. Am I way overshooting the weight, or is it because it's international?

My American series Strat weighs just under 8 lbs. Hardshell case adds another 11 lbs. Without an extra box, the length + girth of the case is about 80 inches, which is ok for USPS international.

Priority mail international for the guitar and case would be about $46 to Canada. It would weigh less in a soft case, but you'd need a larger container in order to pack it well enough. Just don't exceed the dimension limits and use Priority international, which is priced by weight.

Archived