How to use a compressor for tapping...?

Faldoe

• Members

So I've been getting into tapping type stuff lately (damn you Russian Circles). At home the tapping is fine but when I play with my band - loud, it's hard to hear. - I do both distorted and clean tapping and it is the clean that is less audible, obviously.

I've heard some people mention that compressors help with tapping I have a Barber Tone Press.

What are some good settings for tapping? High compression, lots of sustain/ little sustain?

Any advice would be great.

• Members

Oh, {censored} I didn't see that. Haha. Sorry. Um. If you really need the dynamics there, I'd say sustain at about 9, and blend at noon to 2. I'd even do a little bit of a volume boost to make it stand out.

• Members

I LOVE RUSSIAN CIRCLES!! Hmm lets see, I have a Rocktron Big Crush...but I set it with Volume at 1 o clock, Attack at 9, and Sustain around noon.

BTW, how do you guys like the Barber Tone Press. Brendan from Circa Survive recommended it to me, as I feel the Big Crush adds a bit too much extra gain on higher settings

• Members

The BTP is extremely transparent at the stock internal trimmer setting. It's a great compressor, but I like my Diamond a little more. I don't really do any tapping though, it's mostly for smoothing out chords.

Archived