Flying with my board onf Friday...

• Members

So my band and I are headlining Bowery Ballroom in NYC for the first time on Friday night....Very exciting, but its bringing up some serious problems....

Last time I flew with my board, I checked it on the plane. The brain surgeons in the security dept. must have thought it was a bomb or some {censored}, cause they pulled ALL the pedals off the board and unplugged all the wires to check it out. Needless to say, it takes me a REALLY long time to properly string up my whole board, and this really sucked. Spent all the next day fixing it back up.

So, I want to take my board on the plane with me this time. Except its too big to carry on I think.

How can I keep these A-Holes from messing with my stuff? I can't lock the case right? Maybe Ill leave them a note saying "F-Off"

• Members

If they find such a note, you may be subject to a body cavity search as well as having every screw on every pedal taken out to make sure there are no explosives... I'd suggest that you leave a nice note explaining that you're a working musician and these are the tools of your trade.

Steve

• Members

Yeah I would think your average music-ignorant joe working airport security would flip their lid if they saw a pedalboard. Must look pretty sinister to someone looking for bombs. Sure you can't carry on?

Yeah, its pretty big. And Im already gonna be taking on my guitar, so it might be too much....

Ill try the "nice" note route- That sounds like a good idea....

• Members

there is no way they will let you carry on board a big flight case.... its ok with guitar bag... but no hard case....

at least here in europe when the item is "oversize/fragile/electronic" it goes through a different security check, which you must go with your luggage until it is cleared at xray! that way if they have to open it you are just there and you do it yourself!

I remember when I played in US the procedure wasn't the same, and that almost got me arrested... when I saw the guards opening my pedalboard upside down and all my pedals dropped.... I just shouted!!!! lucky I had an american manager to calm things down!

• Members

Or yeah, you could prob work something out with the airline, so they could open it up with you over seeing it or something, and letting them know how to handle stuff. Might not be normal procedure, but might work if you ask nicely or let them know beforehand. Or the nice note thing, might work, and maybe write "this side up" judging on paganifuzz's experience.

• Members

American airports are too paranoid. Remember it wasn't a bomb that did 9/11, it was terrorists, people not explosives.

And if they are really trained, why can't they just check it out via x-ray and be done with it. What they're doing is invasion of privacy. Lets see how they feel if you mess with their bag.

• Members

American airports are too paranoid. Remember it wasn't a bomb that did 9/11, it was terrorists, people not explosives.

And if they are really trained, why can't they just check it out via x-ray and be done with it. What they're doing is invasion of privacy. Lets see how they feel if you mess with their bag.

yeah, just give THEM a cavity search! Fun AND to-the-point!

• Members

pack a gun.

seriously.

ATA regulations state that a starter pistol, those that you fire to start a race, are considered weapons. you tell them you want to check a weapon, fillout a form, they give it a special sticker and a lock (this is assuming you check the board) and they can't open it.

i read some guy on a photography forum do this because he was tired of people stealing his {censored}.

• Members

When I moved, I just put that {censored} in overhead storage. Plus two guitars. Some people weren't happy but NO way in hell was I checking any of my music equipment.

THIS.

DON'T BE A {censored}.

DO IT.

• Members

We live in America. We know they're paranoid. There's nothing we can do about it. Can you? If so please do.

Archived