DL-4 troubleshooting (white noise content)....

rockapede

• Members

So I just got a DL-4 in a trade today and with my amp at any usable volume it's so noisy it sounds like a jet plane taking off.... Is there any way I can fix it myself or is it screwed? I'll try to get the trader to make this right (and he seems like a good dude) if I can't get it fixed, but I'd really rather figure out a way to make it work if that's possible.

• Members

Power perhaps? That thing'd eat a set of batteries in no time, but drop some freshies in, use known good cables, and nothing but DL-4 between guit and amp. That'd help narrow it down anyway. I know I've had to trace down a lot of issues with digital pedals and daisy chaining...add a bluetooth component to your rig if you really want to drive yourself mad!

• Members

So I just got a DL-4 in a trade today and with my amp at any usable volume it's so noisy it sounds like a jet plane taking off.... Is there any way I can fix it myself or is it screwed? I'll try to get the trader to make this right (and he seems like a good dude) if I can't get it fixed, but I'd really rather figure out a way to make it work if that's possible.

I;ve had 2 neither one made any noise.... very quiet

• Members

Power perhaps? That thing'd eat a set of batteries in no time, but drop some freshies in, use known good cables, and nothing but DL-4 between guit and amp. That'd help narrow it down anyway. I know I've had to trace down a lot of issues with digital pedals and daisy chaining...add a bluetooth component to your rig if you really want to drive yourself mad!

I'm using the DL-4 power adapter, good cables, and have used it both in my chain and by itself. The problem doesn't change at all either way.

• Members

Run it through the loop see if the noise is still there..if not, maybe too much gain on the input. If so, do the following..

Set it up on a ping pong delay, see if you hear pops. If so I have been told that the board is bad. Purely a guess on my part from what techs have told me.....but you know how techs are.

• Members

Have you popped off the back panel & taken a look inside? A bad solder joint could cause what you're describing. Also, I know it sounds silly, but have you tried the A-D reset? I've had that solve everything from weird, uncontrollable noise to unresponsive controls to DOA pedals. Some folks also feel that resetting the EPROM can solve any number of ailments. Take care in doing so though - I made a little wire tool to grab two corners and pull straight up w/o chipping the chip. Had one DL4 come in DOA and the P.O. had tried to re-seat the EPROM only to break it. Line 6 parts is really top shelf though, and I was able to get a fresh EPROM to fix it. Now I'm rambling. If you need more help, PM me.

• Members

Have you popped off the back panel & taken a look inside? A bad solder joint could cause what you're describing. Also, I know it sounds silly, but have you tried the A-D reset? I've had that solve everything from weird, uncontrollable noise to unresponsive controls to DOA pedals. Some folks also feel that resetting the EPROM can solve any number of ailments. Take care in doing so though - I made a little wire tool to grab two corners and pull straight up w/o chipping the chip. Had one DL4 come in DOA and the P.O. had tried to re-seat the EPROM only to break it. Line 6 parts is really top shelf though, and I was able to get a fresh EPROM to fix it. Now I'm rambling. If you need more help, PM me.

Hey, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've peaked inside, done the reset, and re-seated the chip....none of which have made a difference. I've wired it up in different ways, tried a different guitar, the works. The only thing I haven't yet tried is a different power source (other than the Line6 adapter). Do you think that would make much of a difference?

• Members
Hey, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've peaked inside, done the reset, and re-seated the chip....none of which have made a difference. I've wired it up in different ways, tried a different guitar, the works. The only thing I haven't yet tried is a different power source (other than the Line6 adapter). Do you think that would make much of a difference?

I shot you a PM :thu:

• Members

Well, that sucks. If the board looks good I guess I'd try 4x Cs before giving up just to kill 2x birds with one set of batteries (rules out both power supply & building wiring/interference, etc.) After that, well, I dunno'. Keep us updated!

• Members

Well, that sucks. If the board looks good I guess I'd try 4x Cs before giving up just to kill 2x birds with one set of batteries (rules out both power supply & building wiring/interference, etc.) After that, well, I dunno'. Keep us updated!

He got this DL-4 in a trade from me.

I received it, was told by the original owner that it had a noise problem. When I got it, played it for a few hours, had no problem. Boxed it up and traded it to Crxsh for a Carbon Copy.

He gets it, and BAM there's the noise problem again. I say "{censored}, well, send her back" and I buy the Carbon Copy.

I get it back, I open up the box, play it for an hour or so and no problems. No freaking noise; I don't know if I'm deaf or what the hell is going on, but It's quiet as can be. I'm using the L6 adaptor with it.

I then trade it with the OP since I think there must just be some kind of mojo-ified flukiness and the pedal works fine.

So the fact is, there's a definite problem. I'm either too dumb to hear the noise or something in my setup (I'm not using a noise supressor or anything) is keeping it quiet.

I'm currently trying to figure out what he wants to do about the pedal, maybe we can get this problem solved, or maybe I send him money and beat the pedal with a sledgehammer? Who knows.

• Members

Reading this description, there's just NO WAY I missed that. I don't know what the f*ck I'm doing that this thing doesn't make noise when it's in my hands....{censored} on a stick.

Archived