Has anyone built a multi dirt box?

Lanefair

• Members

probably not what you're looking for but digitech makes a DF-7 distortion factory.

TS9, DOD250, DS-1, RAT, Metal Zone, Metal Master, Big Muff in one stomp box. obviously digital, but it's pretty fun to play with.

• Members

A Rangemaster and a Fuzz Face, perhaps?

Routing would be the main concern. It would impede your ability to put them separately in your chain, or remove one, etc.

Not necessarily, as long as each side has independent In/Out jacks

• Members

Not necessarily, as long as each side has independent In/Out jacks

True, and it keeps you dirt in in tidy package, but if you wished to locate one section elsewhere, or remove it, it would be a problem.

Regardless, there's little reason not to.

• Members

The whole point of doing it would be to save on cables and space, so I wouldn't care about routing options too much, just one in, one out. Just choose an order and stick to it. Or maybe put some jumper socket type things inside in case i change my mind.

• Members

I don't have any pics of them at the moment unfortunately and no working camera. The main reason I did two in one with those is that the exclosures I got were huge, so it made sense at the time to do it. They easily fitted in. They are very plain anyway, just bare aluminium. Same box as the phaseur fleur in this old pic, next to a hammond 1590bb box

p1010061smallql9.th.jpg

• Members

No reason not to do it- there are plenty of boutique manufacturers with similar ideas- I think Analogman makes a Fuzz Face/Rangemaster combo pedal (in fact I think someone has it as an avatar...)

I guess the Foxrox ZIM is the closest in concept to what you're thinking- two overdrives/distortions/fuzzes/clean boosts in one box. It uses switching jacks so that you can reverse the default ch.A -> ch.B order, or have the two drives at different points in your signal chain. I doubt it's that complicated to wire something like that into your multi-dirt box, but I know nothing about electronics :(

I guess a particularly unusual combo might make life difficult if you wanted to sell it on later, but that's not necessarily ever going to be a problem...

• Members

I think either Lovetone or Dinosaural did a two-in-one combo with the Big Cheese and the Brown Source... You could also patch them up in whatever order you wanted

Yes, Lovetone did the Cheese Source with separate in's and outs. Fuzz and OD/Distortion.

Keeley made the Tone Workstation-KTW-1 with a comp and 2 dirt pedals could be set in any order. Unfortunately it's no longer in production.

• Members

You know, like put a TS a muff and a rat all in one box? Any reasons to not do it?

reasons to do it:

--saves space

--share power

--less messy

--can sound great if the combination is compatible

--"cleaner" signal path

--customizable switching possible

reasons not to do it:

--tends to be inflexible, can't add/delete pedal

--tends to not be able to switch up order

--noisy if not done right

--less individual creativity

• Members

reasons to do it:

--saves space

--share power

--less messy

--can sound great if the combination is compatible

--"cleaner" signal path

--customizable switching possible

reasons not to do it:

--tends to be inflexible, can't add/delete pedal

--tends to not be able to switch up order

--noisy if not done right

--less individual creativity

You need modules, like the Line 6 Tonecore series. That way, you could change 'em around if you want to. That'd be pretty cool. I/O could be handled my contacts or something, but if you took out one pedal you'd need some sort of blank to keep the signal flowing... Seems doable.

• Members

You need modules, like the Line 6 Tonecore series. That way, you could change 'em around if you want to. That'd be pretty cool. I/O could be handled my contacts or something, but if you took out one pedal you'd need some sort of blank to keep the signal flowing... Seems doable.

it's completely doable. Just usually not worth it. The problem with the tonecore is that the idea still revolves around the pedal as a unit. Get it to revolve around a pedalboard. SO have one large enclosure, like a a pete cornish, but with pcb modules to insert with convenience. i.e no jacks, not patch cable, not extraneous power cables, etc etc...

oh and i have written about this

http://supervelcroboy.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/modular-pedal-idea/

• Members

it's completely doable. Just usually not worth it. The problem with the tonecore is that the idea still revolves around the pedal as a unit. Get it to revolve around a pedalboard. SO have one large enclosure, like a a pete cornish, but with pcb modules to insert with convenience. i.e no jacks, not patch cable, not extraneous power cables, etc etc...

oh and i have written about this

Mounting a bunch of Tonecore docks to a pedalboard would be a start.

A good idea, but universal standardisation is a lot to ask for.

• Members

Mounting a bunch of Tonecore docks to a pedalboard would be a start.

A good idea, but universal standardisation is a lot to ask for.

not really.

look at the foxrox zim with the zim cards. There are many benefits to standardization.

--better efficiency

--cheaper to make

--easier to problem solve

--make it more affordable

--better signal path, less noise

all you have to do is design a generic PCB board around standard pot values or include the pots on the pcb itself.

Archived