Dano Reel Echo & Spring King

BgUnited

• Members

Anybody have any opinions on them or own one of them? They seem to be pretty nice pedals but not too many reviews on them. My favorite of the 2 pedals is probably the Reel Echo, it's got some sweet tape tones and the tube/solid state is a good feature. I'm really diggin the Spring King though, some really nice old school reverb sound and the kick pad is brilliant. Just wanted to know your opinions on them.

• Members

The springs are useless.. they are only used on the kick pad so it's a fake spring reverb.

And for a digital reverb it gets very "bathroomy" and surf reverb... if you like that, then it's ok.

That's a rumor that's been going around for a long time, and people keep passing it on for some reason. But it's false.

I've opened it up and done some mods on it - I'm not just talking out of my ass. The review I posted in the HC revews explains how it works:

There is a lot of disinformation on the internet about what the Spring King is and how it actually works. Others here have corrected that bad information, and I would like to do so as well, just to add one more nail in the coffin, so to speak.

This is not a digital reverb. It is a genuine spring reverb. The spring doesn't just exist for making crash sounds when you kick it. I'm not sure where this rumor came from, but it's 100% false. The signal does in fact pass through the springs, and that is the ONLY source for the reverb. This is not a spring reverb emulator.

However, in ADDITION to the spring reverb is another effect - slap back delay. If you open up the case and look inside you'll see in addition to the three springs, a circuit board. On that board you'll see 5 chips. Four are analog, and have to do with boosting the signal into the springs, and then a recovery stage afterwards, among other things. However, the largest chip, marked PT2399S, is in fact a digital delay chip. It's a very commonly used chip. The BYOC delay uses one. Their Ping Pong delay uses two.

This chip cannot be used to create a reverb effect. It is a delay chip, and can create a delay effect. In fact, I modified my Spring King so that I could control the delay time and feedback level of this delay effect (the stock unit is preset to a subtle, short "slap-back" effect with several repeats). Using these controls, I can now effectively change the settings of this delay to whatever I want, or even take it out of the signal entirely. Even with no digital delay at all, I could still get plenty of spring reverb. I think Danelectro's reason for including a delay circuit along with the spring reverb is to give it a slightly bigger sound, to compensate for the relatively small springs. I find that it sounds quite good even without the delay, however the delay is a nice addition.

So, no more misconceptions. This is an ANALOG, SPRING reverb pedal that also contains a subtle DIGITAL slap-back delay.

Now that that's out of the way, the three controls are: Volume, Tone, and Reverb

Volume controls the amount of signal being fed into the springs. If you turn this all the way down, you will only hear the delay, without the springs. If you turn it all the way up, the spring reverb overpowers the delay so you really don't notice it.

Tone controls the tone of the spring reverb only, not the delay or your dry signal

Reverb controls the mix of reverb/delay to clean signal

• Members

I was just looking at the Reel Echo the other day. I like it, and might get it. But for my current board that I just redesigned, it is too big. The reviews are great though, from owners here and on MF. FOr $150 or less, seems like a good deal. Looks cool too, just wish it was a bit smaller.

• Members

Thanks for correcting my error then
;)
But it would be a greater pedal if it was only true spring reverb without that digital slap back...

No problem :)

Well, it is possible to remove the sound of the slap back by replacing a resistor. I think a little bit of the slap back sounds good, but it also sounds good without it.

Here is a clip of the Spring King without any of that slap back, just the springs:

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Uma%20Floresta%20-%20Spring%20King%20no%20delay.mp3

• Members

Thanks for correcting my error then

But it would be a greater pedal if it was only true spring reverb without that digital slap back...

really it would have to be bigger

and then why not get a Little Lanilei

or a SOLE-MATE

or a full size tank

• Members

I love my Reel Echo, it gets a lot of playtime as its much warmer than my DD-20 tape emulation. The slider for delay times is amazingly useful too as I can VERY quickly and precisely change delay times. I wouldn't mind having a Spring King, as my friend has one and it sounds pretty neat.

• Members

I love my Reel Echo, it gets a lot of playtime as its much warmer than my DD-20 tape emulation. The slider for delay times is amazingly useful too as I can VERY quickly and precisely change delay times. I wouldn't mind having a Spring King, as my friend has one and it sounds pretty neat.

Yeah, I was considering a DL4 but I don't use delay that offen and when I need to change the delay time the slider would make it really easy.

Archived