Some new pedals, leading to a board redesign..

IRG

• Members

Last weekend I posted a question whether the Xotic RC Booster was worth the $. Thanks to the fine folks at ProGuitarShop.com (I called Monday p.m. and the pedals went from Oregon to NY by Thursday), I can say, this pedal kicks major ass. The other pedal i got kicks serious ass too, the new MXR Classic 108 (Fuzz face). Together, I am exploring some serious great new tones.

First pic of these new pedals (sorry no sound clips at this time, recording equipment is next priority).

001-5.jpg

Here's one of them hooked up together:

005-9.jpg

So, I decided since I am adding these 2 new pedals, to get rid of I think 6 pedals from my board, and then redesigned everything. Got rid of my big homemade board (too deep) and went back to my basic board, which is about the size of PT Pro, not as deep though. But both power supplies fit underneath.

Here's a pic of my old board:

008-7.jpg

ANd here's the new one. Sounds so much better, cleaner, louder, more focused. The RC Booster loves my Traynor amp. ANd it loves other pedals too. I can't get over how much I like my tone right now. I'll still be tweaking of course, but I am happy with this setup right now, which I haven't been able to say that maybe ever.

006-9.jpg

So right now, the OD-3 is holding court until my Skreddy Top Fuel comes in. I might repalce my nearly new Stereo Pulsar too (Earthquaker?). And while I love the SMMH, it is sort of big, and limits what I can add modulation wise. Might go with a DD-7, dunno yet. The DLS Chorus is great, but it is also a fairly large pedal.

Here's a pic of my leftover pedals, and a small board I had made. This will be a mini board for my kids to play with, as they are trying to learn guitar (well sort of). My 6 year old is obsessed with my pedals, and for every new one I get, he thinks he gets one of my old ones. He seems to be winning. Not wired up yet:

004-10.jpg

• Members
You have a
ton
of dirt.
:eek:

It's less now :lol: The CLassic 108 is my fuzz (before I had the 2 headed Monsterpiece - and with 6 knobs I spent too much time fiddling), the RC Booster is replacing both my Boosta Grande, my EQ, and it might act like an overdrive, but not really. The OD-3 is for light overdrive, my Screwdriver is my main dirt pedal, as it is very versatile. And my Reeza is my heavier dirt. Although I really like as a medium gian OD as well. The OD-3 will go when my Top Fuel gets here-that replaces my Muff, for my Gilmour tones.

I just couldn't have any less dirt really. It's better than it was!

• Members

It's less now
:lol:
The CLassic 108 is my fuzz (before I had the 2 headed Monsterpiece - and with 6 knobs I spent too much time fiddling), the RC Booster is replacing both my Boosta Grande, my EQ, and it might act like an overdrive, but not really. The OD-3 is for light overdrive, my Screwdriver is my main dirt pedal, as it is very versatile. And my Reeza is my heavier dirt. Although I really like as a medium gian OD as well. The OD-3 will go when my Top Fuel gets here-that replaces my Muff, for my Gilmour tones.

I just couldn't have any less dirt really. It's better than it was!

Ah, so you decided to keep the Reeza? Nice.

I know that I will EVENTUALLY pick up an AC booster, but it'll probably be a long time.

• Members

Ah, so you decided to keep the Reeza? Nice.

I know that I will EVENTUALLY pick up an AC booster, but it'll probably be a long time.

I just pulled it actually. I go back and forth, I do like it, and if I got rid of it, I'm not sure what would fill the void. With some delay it makes a nice lead tone like a Vai or Eric Johnson. If only I could play like them.

The Booster is really good though. The AC would be worth checking out too, if you want one pedal that will give you a boost, eq, and overdrive. The RC is cleaner, and adds some grit, but not like a true overdrive. Maybe that's why it works so well with other pedals.

• Members

You should see if you can get your hands on a Singing Tree Drive.

From what I gather about the OD-3 it's similar in that it's a bit of a different flavor for Overdrive. Any version, I love mine.

• Members

Core X2:thu:

Do you run your rig in stereo? One thing you might check out is the new MXR Tremolo (dunlop TS1 reissue) if you're getting rid of the Pulsar. It's got stereo ins and outs and does the panning thing. The stereo ins are the only reason I'm considering it.

I still keep going back an forth on my Keeley Boss Trem. I want to go stereo eventually, but I use it as an in efx loop lead boost as well.

I guess I'm down to getting a RC booster or a Silverkiss for a low gain EQ-able boost. If the RC doesn't have much personality, that's a plus. My Barber LTD SR is my dominant "tone" pedal, I don't want anything to mess with it.

• Members

OH btw, you might want to move the tuner to behind your dirt. I didn't think it would make much difference, but when I got the Top Fuel there was a faint tone colorization - not much, but enough to drive me nuts.

The TF is really picky with placement for stacking. With my rig it wanted to be behind everything I was going to stack it with.

• Members

Core X2:thu:

Do you run your rig in stereo? One thing you might check out is the new MXR Tremolo (dunlop TS1 reissue) if you're getting rid of the Pulsar. It's got stereo ins and outs and does the panning thing. The stereo ins are the only reason I'm considering it.

I still keep going back an forth on my Keeley Boss Trem. I want to go stereo eventually, but I use it as an in efx loop lead boost as well.

I guess I'm down to getting a RC booster or a Silverkiss for a low gain EQ-able boost. If the RC doesn't have much personality, that's a plus. My Barber LTD SR is my dominant "tone" pedal, I don't want anything to mess with it.

Yep my right is stereo. Not very complicated though. I run the stereo outs of the Pulsar to the stereo ins of the SMMh. ANd then the SMMh to my 2 amps. Works for me. The Pulsar seems to work even better now when the RC Booster is on. If you like your LTD, I think the RC Booster would be a good choice. It adds to your tone, without altering it. I'm not sure if I would run it before or after your LTD, I guess try both. If you needed more gain then the AC Booster would be the one to get. I could seriously see having both,if you didn't have the LTD or other overdrive. I thought about the Silverkiss too, although that pedal seems like an overdrive first, whereas the RC Booster is a booster/eq first and foremost. Kinda like getting 2 pedals together.

The MXR Tremolo looks intriguing, but it isnt cheap (for MXR) is it. I probably won't make any changes for a while now. Famous last words though.

The Core X2 works fine, but I do at times wish the adapters were a bit smaller. They can be tough to maneuver is tight situations, hence I got out my old Hosa cables this time, which still work fine.

• Members

OH btw, you might want to move the tuner to behind your dirt. I didn't think it would make much difference, but when I got the Top Fuel there was a faint tone colorization - not much, but enough to drive me nuts.

The TF is really picky with placement for stacking. With my rig it wanted to be behind everything I was going to stack it with.

SO I should put the TU-2 after all my dirt? I was going to put the TF towards the end of my dirt; remove the OD-3, then the Screwdriver, then the Top Fuel, then Reeza. Then TU-2?

• Members

SO I should put the TU-2 after all my dirt? I was going to put the TF towards the end of my dirt; remove the OD-3, then the Screwdriver, then the Top Fuel, then Reeza. Then TU-2?

Yeah, that sounds good. You're not going to stack the TF and the Rezza - at least I don't think you will.

I tried putting the TF in front of my LTD and it darkened the tone of the TF A LOT. I had to run the tone on the TF all the way up with a Strat. In my current chain the tone is usually around 11. Maybe the Screwdriver and TF will stack better, though.

The MXR is a bit expensive, but I was thinking you could run your chorus pedal in stereo as well.

• Members

Yeah, that sounds good. You're not going to stack the TF and the Rezza - at least I don't think you will.

I tried putting the TF in front of my LTD and it darkened the tone of the TF A LOT. I had to run the tone on the TF all the way up with a Strat. In my current chain the tone is usually around 11. Maybe the Screwdriver and TF will stack better, though.

The MXR is a bit expensive, but I was thinking you could run your chorus pedal in stereo as well.

I have 3 options for stereo at the moment, the DLS Chorus, the stereo Pulsar and the SMMh. Never tried it with the DLS though.

As far as stacking the TF, the only thing I would, would be with this RC Booster. Very useful for adding/subtracting bass/treble to apedal/guitar/amp combo that might be lacking. It's great with this MXR fuzz, adding some bottom end, and I really like it with my Screwdriver, really gives this pedal more added umph and pizzazz if you will. Adding some gain on the RC makes the SD even better.

Archived