Voltage regulator

Mr. Brian

• Members

180-230v? :eek:

Sorry, I've never had to worry about that, so I can't answer your question. There was a guy here a while back who moved to India because of his wife's work and had similar problems, but I think he's moved on permanently to someplace more.... mature :rolleyes:

• Members

You need a battery charger than can run off of that voltage range, charging a battery backup system, which then has an inverter to generate proper voltage for your amp. You can run that (already pretty clean) power through a Furman conditioner too.

• Members

There are a variety of AC voltage regulators that will work. None of them are going to be cheap, but if you shop used you can probably find something in your price range.

One option are tap switching transformers. The upside is that they're automatic. The downside is that there's a momentary break in power when they switch taps, which will come through your amp as a loud pop.

Constant voltage transformers do a good job of AC regulation. Basically, they're step up transformers with a specially designed core that saturates at the regulated voltage. This means they just boost the AC and then clip it at the correct voltage. The clipped AC can cause problems in some circuits, since it's not a pure sine wave. They also tend to run hot because the cores are saturated. These are often called "CAV" transformers.

Pulse width modulated buck/boost transformers deliver much smoother power over a wide voltage range, and don't break the power when they regulate so you won't get any pops, but they are a LOT more expensive.

Assuming that the voltage varies over the course of hours rather than minutes, you might just be able to get away with a decent variac. This will allow you to boost the voltage up to 20% (depending on the variac) when the line voltage is sagging just by turning a knob. They're not automatic, though. You'll have to keep an eye on the voltage and adjust as needed. Most portable variac's have voltmeter built in.

Once you decide what you want, try eBay for a good used unit.

Archived