New Pedal Build Day! GGG TOCT Tycobrahe Octavia kit

CHOUTMUSIC

• Members

Pink LED!

2617352892_5832caefe4.jpg

I love this pedal...at first i was gonna try and use it like my french toast, a standalone octave fuzz, but after messing with getting the best octave up sound, i found that having all the knobs at noon (lower gain= most octave) and putting it behind my BYOC mighty mouse it sounds awesome!

Who else has one and how do you use it?

Bonus pic of my newly built BYOC Phaser:

2617354474_bc7e3511fc.jpg

• Members

I tried to build one and failed horribly. Maybe it wasn't the best choice for a first build.

it took me a bit longer than usual, but i was also doing it at work...i prefer the byoc instructions over ggg - a bit more step by step.

what did you do with it? ever finish it?

• Members

it took me a bit longer than usual, but i was also doing it at work...i prefer the byoc instructions over ggg - a bit more step by step.

what did you do with it? ever finish it?

Yeah, I should've looked at the BYOC instructs instead of GGG's. I ended up selling it for about what I paid in parts to a guy on TGP. Dunno if he ever got it to work...

• Members

:wave: It's me again.

First the build was relatively easy. The hole for the output plug was a bit off and I couldn't fit the plug. One little drill work and it was done.

It was my first experience with a transformer. I wasn't sure about the sided big pins. I looked at the board and saw traces going to ground, then I looked at the schemo and it confirmed me that I should solder them.

I don't really know why but I had a hard time soldering the plugs :freak:

I had a roger mayer rocket octavia, now own the vision one.

The tyco is definitevely fatter than the vision (which was fatter than the rocket). The vision tracks notes better though, and you slightly hear the octave better. When you stack them with a fuzz face, the vision sounds way more synthy, kinda have a filter sound to it.

Both pedals get noisy when you crank the knobs, and the tone knob on the vision is very handy for taming that.

I didn't really play with the tone & volume control on my guitars. That's a thing I need to do...

I found some sweet spots:

Volume - Intensity - Pre Gain

max - mini - 9 o'clock = on a clean channel

max - noon - 9 = when stacked

4 - 2 - 11 = "

I didn't make any voltage readings. That's a thing I also have to do. I may try to put sockets for the transistors and experiment.

Do you know the purpose of the ouput cap ?

How do you like the BYOC phaser ? I built one, in fact I bought the BYOC board and sourced the parts. I ended up selling it because it sounded to subtle for me. I'm thinking about buying the Script Phase reissue or the '74 vintage.

• Members

:wave:
It's me again.

First the build was relatively easy. The hole for the output plug was a bit off and I couldn't fit the plug. One little drill work and it was done.

It was my first experience with a transformer. I wasn't sure about the sided big pins. I looked at the board and saw traces going to ground, then I looked at the schemo and it confirmed me that I should solder them.

I don't really know why but I had a hard time soldering the plugs
:freak:

I had a roger mayer rocket octavia, now own the vision one.

The tyco is definitevely fatter than the vision (which was fatter than the rocket). The vision tracks notes better though, and you slightly hear the octave better. When you stack them with a fuzz face, the vision sounds way more synthy, kinda have a filter sound to it.

Both pedals get noisy when you crank the knobs, and the tone knob on the vision is very handy for taming that.

I didn't really play with the tone & volume control on my guitars. That's a thing I need to do...

I found some sweet spots:

Volume - Intensity - Pre Gain

max - mini - 9 o'clock = on a clean channel

max - noon - 9 = when stacked

4 - 2 - 11 = "

I didn't make any voltage readings. That's a thing I also have to do. I may try to put sockets for the transistors and experiment.

Do you know the purpose of the ouput cap ?

How do you like the BYOC phaser ? I built one, in fact I bought the BYOC board and sourced the parts. I ended up selling it because it sounded to subtle for me. I'm thinking about buying the Script Phase reissue or the '74 vintage.

Good info! :thu:

I really like the phaser, i like having a depth control because I prefer a more subtle phase sound...I just sold my nano clone to a friend.

Archived