E-H Stereo Pulsar: What's your personal experience with it?

MetalChimp

• Members

Every sound clip I hear has this chorus-like sound to it (not sure if I'm describing it right). Is it just the recordings? I'd try it out myself, but no one stocks it around here.

Sorry about this, I know it's like the fifth tremolo thread this week.

• Members

the pulsar is HAWT. I'm pretty sure it's just the recordings. I don't own one but i've tried it out a few times. i don't remember it having that chorus type sound you were describing. it is a pretty straight forward trem like driver said.

• Members

Pulsar is a great Tremolo pedal for the price, teh ability to change the shape of the wave (the mark to space ratio) is a very good, useful feature and the speed knob has very slow pulsing to very very fast.

Has a subtle volume drop though when turned on. I fitted a SHO style booster inside mine to bring back to unity volume.

• Members

Has a subtle volume drop though when turned on. I fitted a SHO style booster inside mine to bring back to unity volume.

my stereo one had a volume boost, I think there is some variation on these, so it might be worth trying a few if you can, I used to turn the depth down to zero on mine and use it as a booster!! :lol:

• Members

I have one too, and like it. Two things that bother me though: 1) the rate knob is too sensitive. It doesn't take much to go from subtle tremolo to a very fast tremolo, and it seems like anything past 11 oclocl is almost useless. 2) there is a slight volume drop on mine. I even measured it with a SPL meter to make sure this was true, about 2 db. Also, some settings seem more susceptible to the volume drop than others. It is more pronounced if you don't use the stereo out to another amp.

The stereo option is cool. If you don't use this, not sure its the right pedal for you though. DO people here who have one not use it in stereo?

As far as chorus goes, I suppose if you water down the effect, you can get that tone, kind of. More of a vibrato probably. But first and foremost, it is a tremolo pedal, and pretty good one for the money for sure.

• Members

I have one too, and like it. Two things that bother me though: 1) the rate knob is too sensitive. It doesn't take much to go from subtle tremolo to a very fast tremolo, and it seems like anything past 11 oclocl is almost useless. 2) there is a slight volume drop on mine. I even measured it with a SPL meter to make sure this was true, about 2 db. Also, some settings seem more susceptible to the volume drop than others. It is more pronounced if you don't use the stereo out to another amp.

The stereo option is cool. If you don't use this, not sure its the right pedal for you though. DO people here who have one not use it in stereo?

As far as chorus goes, I suppose if you water down the effect, you can get that tone, kind of. More of a vibrato probably. But first and foremost, it is a tremolo pedal, and pretty good one for the money for sure.

ah, that's what it might be...I used mine in stereo into 2 amps and there was always a bit of a boost....depending on how the outputs work maybe that's the reason?

• Members

You might have been hearing the sort of vibrato and ring mod sounds it can make. It does have the ability to get really out there, which is cool. If you wanted a very straight forward tremolo for cheap, though, you couldn't go wrong at all with a DanO Tuna Melt.

• Members
I've had both the regular and the stereo and the were both very good.....neither sounded like a chorus though.
:confused:

hello, which did you prefer. others have said on here that the mono has beter tone. i agree when the nano stone goes up against a current usa issue.

• Members

Just back off on the depth (or is it mix?) and your volume will come back. To keep the volume totally even, your boost would have to shift as the depth is changed.

• Members
hello, which did you prefer. others have said on here that the mono has beter tone. i agree when the nano stone goes up against a current usa issue.

that's tricky.....I had the stereo first and loved it, then I swapped that for the big box (I loved the looks) and to be honest they didn't seem any different to me, but then I didn't have them at the same time to do a side by side.

If I remember rightly the stereo one had slightly more range on the speed, but they were both as good as each other really. :thu:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got one today. Does anybody else have issues with the Stereo Pulsar introducing distortion? Particularly when trying to dial in maximum depth (around 1:00 for me). The troughs are still very audible, and pretty distorted.

One posting on the user reviews complained of the same problem, but no one else mentioned it. In fact one makes a point of saying he has pretty hot pickups and the box still doesn't distort, and my pickups aren't even that hot.

• Members

I just got one today. Does anybody else have issues with the Stereo Pulsar introducing distortion? Particularly when trying to dial in maximum depth (around 1:00 for me). The troughs are still very audible, and pretty distorted.

One posting on the user reviews complained of the same problem, but no one else mentioned it. In fact one makes a point of saying he has pretty hot pickups and the box still doesn't distort, and my pickups aren't even that hot.

yeah, you can make it clip, put a pedal with a good buffer infront of it...it won't matter how hot your pickups are then.

• Members

If you go up to full speed then it starts to sound like a ringmod thats out of key, if thats what you're thinking about?

That might be it, I reckon too. The "out of key" thing would be like a slight detuning effect, just like with a chorus effect where a modulated signal phases out slightly with a 'dry' signal.

• Members

I had mine for a few weeks and really liked it, but it never got used in any of the songs that our band plays. Ultimately, when I put together the pedalboard that I'm currently using, it ended up not making the cut, so I sold it on the 'bay.

It's a neat pedal that does a very smooth tremolo sound. I really like how you can use the shape knob to alter the shape of the wave, but as others have said, unless you're going for a really out-there sound, the rate knob is pretty useless past 11 o' clock. It'd be cool to have that sort of capability, but accessible from a turbo button or something. I'm thinking like those Warp and Twist functions on the DD-20.

Archived