Keeley Compressor

• Members

Hi, does anyone use this pretty little box?

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8

I want it, and not just because it's pretty ;)

Tell me about it! How do you use it? With what equipment, and to what end? I already know the basics of compression in the recording process but haven't really tried playing with compression in the guitar signal chain.

Also... should I get the 2-knob or the 4-knob version?

Thanks

• Members

I have a two knob, and use it much like zygoat. Nice pop on clean guitar, thickens up the clean sound quite a bit. You can get tons of (perceived, with compressors it's always perceived) sustain. I use it in front of an OCD and when I want the OCD to boost the OCD, this does the trick.

Recommended :thu:

• Members

I had the four-knob compressor and sold it within a week of buying the Diamond compressor. I found the Keeley killed some of the top end which didn't endear it to me, as I am fairly jangly with my playing. All compressors will do this to an extent but the Diamond comp's EQ section allows you to dial in some of the top end that is lost by the compression. In terms of the basic sound, there's very little between the Keeley and the Diamond. The Diamond is simply more flexible and suited my needs better.

• Members

I use a 2 knob version. It's my only 'always on' pedal. I use it like this to help chords sound more even (I play mostly rhythm). The compression is always set at about 9 o'clock. I've used it this way for so long now that when I turn it off I don't like how my rig sounds. It sounds great in front of my AC30, and doest seem to mind being hit with single coils or P-90's. From what I remember it didn't sound so hot with the humbuckers that used to be in my Les Paul.

• Members

I have the two-knob one. I think the difference between the two is the internal trimpots in the two-knob are external knobs on the four-knob one. I used it mostly for cleans and solos; it makes notes sound fuller. I also use it to tame my FM-4.

I would ask if you use compressors in your current pedalboard. If so, it may be worth it to upgrade to the Keeley. if not, you may want to try any compressor out to see if it fits your style. The Keeley compressor is pretty transparent as far as compressors go. Another compressor that people seem to like is the Barber one, and I think it's significantly cheaper as well.

Archived