Sign in to follow this  
Larry03

Is this Digital Piano a Good Deal?

My wife and I thinking about getting started playing piano. Actually, she played when she was a kid but hardly remembers anything and I've never played, though I do read music and play guitar. In any case, we'd like to buy a digital piano because it will cost us less and will be much easier to move if we decide to leave our current location which is very possible in the next couple of years. So I was searching on Craigslist and the following piano is available:

KURZWEIL Ensemble Grand Mark III Digital Piano - $499

Full-size, multi-timbral console piano - NOT a keyboard. 100 Watt Quad Stereo System, 250 available sounds, Midi In, Out and Thru ports as well as two audio inputs and two audio outputs. Other features include wood cabinet, 88 weighted keys, 24-note polyphony, button-selectable chorus, tremolo and vibrato effects, pitch and modulation wheels, transpose function, tune function, sustain and sostenuto pedals, and stereo headphone jack. Feels like a regular acoustic piano! This beautiful piano is in excellent condition and has a bench and manual included. Dimensions: 31 1/8" High, 56" wide, 20 1/2" Deep, 175 pounds. Seller will provide local delivery. An excellent piano for the serious student looking for additional creative possibility. Call 750-9512. Delivery in Cincinnati area available.

We went and checked it out and its in perfect condition, works like a charm. Seems like a good deal at $500 including delivery even if its a bit older. I tried to bargain a bit but they won't budge on the price. Is this a good deal? Should I pull the trigger? Any advice will be really appreciated. Thanks!!

The only drawback to the older digitals is the polyphony (the amount of notes that can be played at the same time). The Kurzweil Grand polyphony is 24 which, if using the sustain pedal a lot or layering other sounds with the piano, will cause notes to cut off. If you're new to piano you will probably have enough to think about that the poyphony won't bother you. The Kurz is a nice sounding board, and built like a tank. I think you two will like it. And just think - you never have to hire a piano tuner...

I Googled for a few similar models and it would seem that it's in the range ($450-750) that I saw. You may want to do a search on ebay, both current and closed auctions to see how it compares in price and specs to newer models. But then again - you've already tried it (something you can't do over ebay) and liked it. Plus, he will deliver. Shipping on something like that would be prohibitive. My biggeest fear would be having a problem with something that old - but that's true of most used electronics.

sorry to tell you, but this thread you reopened is from 2007...you're probably not going to get much help from the folks in the original discussion.:wave: