I Found The Rat For Me... Finally....

• Members

I've been a rat lover for the longest but every rat i've owned has just been a little off of perfection for me. The keeley was too dark and the controls weren't always usable for me. The original rat II was just thin and couldn't cut a mix. the freakshow brown rabbit sounded good as an overdrive but didn't really do hi gain well. Then i got an original II from the 80's and it's pretty amazing sounding as a rhythm pedal. It has a very amp like growling midrange but then for leads it was a little stiff. It was my favorite rat until I got the original 80's big box rat. This thing sounds freaking huge!!! Perfect for leads as well. I see why they go for 200+ on ebay now. It's hands down the best rat i've ever heard and owned. I would definitely suggest finding one if you're into the rat sound.

• Members
I've never heard a rat clip I liked ....
:(

I used to love listening to kevin eubanks tone on the tonight show... then it got a little old to me. The foos have some great rat tones that i like though. It doesn't work best for everything I do.. but for a hi gain pedal it goes good into most amps. I travel a lot and don't always get the best backline gear so that's important to me. I definitely want to do some recording with the big box though.

• Members

That's funny I have my Brown Rabbit set to almost fuzzy gain. +1 for the 80's RATs kicking ass, though.

it would do hi gain for me but sounded best as an od imo. it felt really stiff for leads when i had it dialed in to do good rhythm sounds.... and when i had it set for decent lead stuff it sounded really mushy for rhythm. i just couldn't get with it.

• Members
I've never heard a rat clip I liked ....
:(

I'm trying to remember who it was, but somebody on here got like this super-mega-deluxe modded rat and did a couple of Thrice clips with it through his AC30.

That's the only rat clip I've ever liked and it's also about the best sounding high gain dirt pedal clip I've ever heard, period. It was unbelievably good.

• Members

it would do hi gain for me but sounded best as an od imo. it felt really stiff for leads when i had it dialed in to do good rhythm sounds.... and when i had it set for decent lead stuff it sounded really mushy for rhythm. i just couldn't get with it.

Mine is a custom ... I think I must use a clipping option that the stock BR doesn't have. But just out of curiosity what do you mean by stiff for leads?

• Members

I've been a rat lover for the longest but every rat i've owned has just been a little off of perfection for me. The keeley was too dark and the controls weren't always usable for me. The original rat II was just thin and couldn't cut a mix. the freakshow brown rabbit sounded good as an overdrive but didn't really do hi gain well. Then i got an original II from the 80's and it's pretty amazing sounding as a rhythm pedal. It has a very amp like growling midrange but then for leads it was a little stiff. It was my favorite rat until I got the original 80's big box rat. This thing sounds freaking huge!!! Perfect for leads as well. I see why they go for 200+ on ebay now. It's hands down the best rat i've ever heard and owned. I would definitely suggest finding one if you're into the rat sound.

I completely agree, the original big box and even the first couple of years of the small box with the black Rat logo just sound huge compared to all the later ones. I don't understand why anyone would buy a newer modded Rat when they can still buy an original for well under two hundred.

• Members

I just giged my 80's RAT with the LM308 chip in it for the first time this past weekend and I have to say... best distorsion I have EVER used! Sounds killer for chords and insane on the solos. I Like!!

• Members

Mine is a custom ... I think I must use a clipping option that the stock BR doesn't have. But just out of curiosity what do you mean by stiff for leads?

it makes me play a lot harder and it's a lot more unforgiving of my crappy technique... lol. some amps and pedals seem to be this way whereas others are a lot smoother and seem like the notes come easy. it's the feel of it and how easy it is too pull stuff off with it.

• Members

Here is some R2DU love.. Both channels have the 308 chip, and channel A has the Ruetz mod done to it, both on the 47ohm and 560ohm gain resistor.. Just sounds awesome..

Sounds even better when they're both on :thu:

IMG_0614.jpg

I used to have a Turbo Rat and I always thought it sounded meh, but these sound much better!!

• Members
Here is some R2DU love.. Both channels have the 308 chip, and channel A has the Ruetz mod done to it, both on the 47ohm and 560ohm gain resistor.. Just sounds awesome..

Sounds even better when they're both on
:thu:

IMG_0614.jpg

I used to have a Turbo Rat and I always thought it sounded meh, but these sound much better!!

U2 fan?

• Members

I got a vintage reissue Rat (from 1991) coming in the mail, anyone know how they compare with the original big box?

For what it's worth, I have an '86 small box non-led Rat which is supposed to be the same circuit as the original large box Rats, and it sounds very similar to my late '90's Rat II. In my opinion and experiences, the differences would be negligible.

• Members

somebody splain to me why every rat i've ever played sounds different then the last.i had one long ago that sounded fantastic,but it got rippedoff.every one i've played sense does not have that mojo,please splain to me,thnkx

ProCo don't exactly stick to the same exact components. They go with whichever is cheapest/most easily obtainable.

Archived