The BYOC / GGG pedal lounge...what have you built?

• Members

I'm pretty sure I'll be selling off all my name brand pedals and replacing them with pedal kit counterparts, aside from delays.

Damn it's a good feeling to spend hours putting together a pedal and have it work like it should...(i've had the opposite happen too though, and that's so frustrating :mad:).

So far I've made:

BYOC:

Large Beaver (older version with mids scoop/boost/flat switch)

Mighty Mouse (older version with turbo/od/boost mods)

Compressor

Phaser

Chorus (the one i never got to work right...i sold it on ebay and the guy fixed it within minutes, i overlooked one misplaced component numerous times :mad: )

GGG:

Octavia (Tychobrahe clone...most recent build...I love it right before my Mighty Mouse!)

I'm pretty sure I want to build a GGG Phase 100 clone and perhaps a Fuzz Face clone next...can't wait for the byoc flanger to be ready...and I want to build another byoc chorus.

What have you built?

2616504329_b27f251fc4_b.jpg

I didn't build the looper though...that's a loop master.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The closest I've come to building a kit s buying a PCB from GGG -

front-web.jpg

guts.jpg

I now have a BYOC delay that I bought here after the original builder fried it by using the wrong polarity power supply. I've fixed it, but will be redoing the entire board because it's a mess. I'm putting it in a 1790NS box (SMM/H size), with switchable effects loop, dual switchable time/repeat controls and simple EQ.

I've re-used the old BYOC delay enclosure for a mean octave fuzz that's a higher gain / more glitchy variation of the Buzz Box (which is 2 Bazz Fuss)

• Members

painting the enclosures IMO is the most fun part of the BYOC.

heres mine

th_Screamer1.jpg

th_DSC00106.jpg

th_DSC00081.jpg

Screamer - with langraff switch and cleaner clean boost and tone mods

Overdose - MXR dist+ with clipping section mod + switch

and Repeat Offender - digital delay

• Members

Hey Tourist, could you post some gut pics of the Big Cheese? I built the GGG BMP but I really want a Cheese, also what's your verdict tonally of it compared to a reg muff if you don't mind? Thanks!

• Members

haha kind of embarrased to post this after andrew_k's immaculate build

100_4005.jpg

100_4006.jpg

I don't really get the Big Muff comparisons to be honest. The scooped setting is scooped like a BM but that's about it as far as similarities go I think. I've never played a BC in person so I can't really say how accurate mine is to the original. The BM is smooth and saturated while the BC is pinched and almost raspy/nasally. The video demo of the BC here is the smoothest I've ever heard it -

However mine sounds more like this -

and also more along the lines of the clips of the Chunky Cheddar at olccircuits. I like having both..they don't really overlap for me.

• Members

what's the secret to sourcing parts?

it looks overwhelming, looking at the thousands of parts places like mouser stock...

granted, i have sourced a few, for the large beaver and mighty mouse, but ended getting the wrong sizes on some, though they still work (i have some massive parts in my large beaver for the mid switch, so I can't fit a battery in there anymore)

• Members

I just ordered 2 byoc chorus pcbs and sourced all the other parts to make a dual chorus (I've been wanting an analogman bi chorus for soooo long) in one enclosure. I'm also going to add vibrato switches for both sides which I already have.

The total for everything (most of the parts from mouser, the rest from small bear, pedal parts plus and ebay) came out to just over $90, shipping included. That doesn't seem too bad, buying one byoc chorus kit comes out to over $80 with shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I ordered the GGG Fuzz Face with the late 60's option...I tried a Fulltone 69 and thought it was awesome...didn't even realize this was a clone of it until after I ordered it.

I got the two circuit boards populated for my dual chorus, but still waiting on the bbd chips from japan, dammit!

• Members

I ordered the GGG Fuzz Face with the late 60's option...I tried a Fulltone 69 and thought it was awesome...didn't even realize this was a clone of it until after I ordered it.

I got the two circuit boards populated for my dual chorus, but still waiting on the bbd chips from japan, dammit!

I've ordered the exact same one - late 60's FF - plus some germanium transistors from small bear. Hope it works out! It's my first build, apart from a custom true bypass looper that was very successful.

What transistors are you going to use? The silicon ones that come with it?

• Members

I've ordered the exact same one - late 60's FF - plus some germanium transistors from small bear. Hope it works out! It's my first build, apart from a custom true bypass looper that was very successful.

What transistors are you going to use? The silicon ones that come with it?

I just ordered a pair of germaniums from small bear also!

It should be a relatively easy build, less parts than many pedals, but the GGG instructions aren't as easy (byoc are more step by step) as the byoc pedal instructions...

• Members

I've built the BYOC Tri-Boost, 2-Knob Bender (mine's actually a 4-Knob Tonebender/Fuzzface mod-job) and the BYOC 5-Knob Compressor, which is definitely my favourite of the three so far. I made a build diary thread when I made it. It's still here somewhere...

I'm also very eager to get my hands on the BYOC Flanger kit when it finally arrives. Sometimes I think I could replace most of my pedals with DIY versions, but then I get to thinking about tap tempo and all kinds of complicated features I'm just not up to building myself :(

Anyone had any experience of building 4MS kits? I think the Tremulus Lune or Phaseur Fleur might be just about normal enough to get some use out of...

• Members

I've built a byoc phaser (with a switch to go from Phase 90 to Univibe-like), screamer (with lots of sockets...), large beaver (new version; and I added switches so both sets of clipping diodes can go from silicon to leds) and Mighty Mouse (new version).

Everything sounds better than any original ones I've had, except my MM is awfully noisy...

• Members

I've done

Big Muff with Creamy Dreamer switch

Rat with additional toggle for Vintage/Turbo

Delay x 3

EQ x 2

They're all great, but the EQ is really really fiddly, and you'd better make sure the board is dead right before you solder the sliders on, because they're almost impossible to de-solder and remove.

Archived