Old Big Box Qtron+ vs. New XO Qtron+

• Members

Wow. everyone wants a qtron+ lately.

First of all the bigger EHX pedals are far sexier looking then the mini conterparts. In my opinion the newer XO model qtron+ doesnt sound as good as the full size model. Its not quite as responsive and fat sounding and the range is a bit limited as well. I havent really used mine (original full size) much in about a year or so. PM me if your interested.

• Members

hi, sorry i cant help. but, ive been trying to get this figured as well. i use the old big one. the plus. i enjoy it. i can tell you that some xo's are not the same tone as the fold over enclosures. nano stone has more volume but less tone, but the rate goes higher. its obvious that ehx wasnt going for 100% clones. ie the nano clone itself didnt even have a deapth switch. than you get others like the q-tron+ and the new memory man deluxe that claim to be exact. i bet they are a little off. we need to know. id like the smaller version myself but not a worse tone. we all know the electric mistress xo was digital. the original analog.

• Members

Wow. everyone wants a qtron+ lately.

First of all the bigger EHX pedals are far sexier looking then the mini conterparts. In my opinion the newer XO model qtron+ doesnt sound as good as the full size model. Its not quite as responsive and fat sounding and the range is a bit limited as well. I havent really used mine (original full size) much in about a year or so. PM me if your interested.

i read this after posting. good to know. but, you are selling something:poke:

:cop::cry:

cant blame you, though. good luck. try craigslist.com

• Members

im sorry for the spam. I do mean it though. I am selling off all of my xo sized EHX pedals because ultimately they are not as great as my originals. I, like so many got super excited to see smaller boxes that were easier to power from EHX. Its just that after the dust settled they are / were not as good as the big brothers.

A perfect example is the other day i was curious and tried out the new XO micro synth and the XO bass micro synth from EHX. Now i love my big one and use it often. the new one couldn't even hold a candle to the original. The sliders were funky and the tone uninspiring at best.

• Members

222617.jpg

I recently got the one that looks like this but with pointy knobs...

not sure what year or version or whatever it is...

the verdict is still out on the bypass on this thing. You might be better off with the XO if it's true bypass because I think I do notice some tone suckage with mine. Only tried it at practice so far tho, my gig this weekend will be a better test. I'll bring along a TB looper to make sure I can extract it completely from my rig so I can tell exactly what it's doing to the signal. Either way it has some unbelievably cool sounds in it and I doubt I'd sell it because it has the good tonez. I can't wait to hear it on bass. that will kick ass.

edit:

yeap, mine is NOT true bypass... see attached pics - the dreaded Xwing configuration confirms this... I believe this style of bypass would explain the tone suckage I have. I think the two resistors on the input and output are part of this bypass system and if I remember correctly they load down the guitar signal. Perhaps a buffered pedal before it will help cure it, I don't know. It does look like it would be extremely simple to TB with a 3PDT switch and I should be able to use the existing power indicator LED to indicate the on/off status. I'll look into it and post pics if I do go this route if anyone is interested. I'm also considering adding a "mix" knob and/or possibly a volume pot to help even out the gain boost this pedal has.

like I said it sounds too good to even think about getting rid of it but I think it could be better with the TB.

• Members

another thing, I just got this pedal and when I first got it there was no signal when the effect was activated. I had to throw a patch cord in the loop to get it to function. Is this normal?

the pedal didn't look like it had ever been opened before so I'm not thinking it was modded previously...

• Members

im sorry for the spam. I do mean it though. I am selling off all of my xo sized EHX pedals because ultimately they are not as great as my originals. I, like so many got super excited to see smaller boxes that were easier to power from EHX. Its just that after the dust settled they are / were not as good as the big brothers.

A perfect example is the other day i was curious and tried out the new XO micro synth and the XO bass micro synth from EHX. Now i love my big one and use it often. the new one couldn't even hold a candle to the original. The sliders were funky and the tone uninspiring at best.

dont get me wrong. i dont question your integrity or motives. just so you know, if you did not. the xo trons are going for more on the bay. suppy and demand thing? act quick friend. id ask at least 120 or more if you feel greedy or needy? have a good one.

• Members

XO is going back, it's an old style one or nothing for me.

Played with the XO a bit, and it's pretty decent overall, just ugly as hell lol

it looks different that the huge chrome cases but it doesn't seem "ugly" to me

it looks cute... :love:

• Members

You're selling a big box qtron right?

• Members

Interesting.

I don't have much experience with the XOs. Only the SMMH (which is so different from the original, it's not worth comparing), and the Stereo Polyphase. In the case of the PolyPhase, I completely agree. I prefer the tone of the original over the XO. It seems beefier and more pronounced to me.

Archived