NGD: Jazzmaster

Faldoe

• Members

First off, congrats! Very clean looking and has that delightful CIJ poly gloss all over the place.

I believe mine looked like that once. Brown tort is so much more tasteful, but we decided to go for the gold instead, and would advise the same if you're not "down with the brown".

VIVA my student Jake, rocking out bedroom style:

Photo070908_4.jpg

• Members

why, it's just a pick guard....

I don't think it's a "Genuine Fender" Pickguard. The Fender ones are much darker. I got my '95-96 MIJ Jazzmaster the other day. Shipped all the way from Japan and purchased off e-bay. I have to spend about $100 to restore it (new pickguard, bridge, and screws), but I still love it anyway.

Funny coincidence though... my MIJ Jazzmaster has the exact same pickguard as yours. I would keep it just in case it's the "original" Japanese version of the pickguard and is different from the American one.

• Members

I don't think it's a "Genuine Fender" Pickguard. The Fender ones are much darker. I got my '95-96 MIJ Jazzmaster the other day. Shipped all the way from Japan and purchased off e-bay. I have to spend about $100 to restore it (new pickguard, bridge, and screws), but I still love it anyway.

Funny coincidence though... my MIJ Jazzmaster has the exact same pickguard as yours. I would keep it just in case it's the "original" Japanese version of the pickguard and is different from the American one.

Just the color of MIJ tortoise from this timeframe.

• Members

Just the color of MIJ tortoise from this timeframe.

Thanks Mr. C, that's good info to know. I think the Darker ones def look better... but in terms of "restoring" a guitar to it's original state I'll definitely keep the original. What sucks is my pickguard is cracked... So I would need to find an "original" pickguard for this era Jazzmaster... if I really wanted to restore it.

• Members

Thanks Mr. C, that's good info to know. I think the Darker ones def look better... but in terms of "restoring" a guitar to it's original state I'll definitely keep the original. What sucks is my pickguard is cracked... So I would need to find an "original" pickguard for this era Jazzmaster... if I really wanted to restore it.

Its your guitar put whatever YOU like on it who cares about "restoration"!?! :thu: BTW I really like Warmoth pickguards, I've bought guards from them that required customization so I had to do some cutting (the white thinline in back), which gave me the opportunity to SMELL that they sell the real stuff. Other places sell the simulated PVC tortoise shell.

2462620811_c4e80ac5e5.jpg

• Members

Its your guitar put whatever YOU like on it who cares about "restoration"!?!
:thu:
BTW I really like Warmoth pickguards, I've bought guards from them that required customization so I had to do some cutting (the white thinline in back), which gave me the opportunity to SMELL that they sell the real stuff. Other places sell the simulated PVC tortoise shell.

2462620811_c4e80ac5e5.jpg

One of my bosses spent years restoring a Jaguar (automobile). He traveled Europe acquiring original parts (including screws) so that when completed it would be 100% original. When he was done he sold it for what I'm sure was a healthy profit. If you got a '59 Jazzmaster... you wouldn't throw away the original pick guard. If a tuning knob broke... You would wouldn't just replace it with any tuning knob... you would look for an original '59 tuning knob to replace it (which would be expensive as hell). As an investment, restoration is more valuable than customization. And (I think) in the future... decades from now... the 3TS Japanese Jazzmasters will be highly sought after due to their finish, being different from the American ones, holding up better through time.

So if Mr. Fancy Pants wants to sell me his original pick guard... I'll be glad to take it off his hands. Even though I'll probably never put it on, decades from now, when that guitar is fifty years old (the '59's are currently only 50 years old), I'll have the original pick guard to go with the guitar. It's stupid I know... But I seriously think the Jazzmasters will one day be more valuable than the strats. They have not been as popular in the past... meaning there are fewer of them out there. But I think in the future, they will become more and more popular. It's just a gut feeling I've got, knowing how good it sounds and how many people on this forum have GAS for it.

Love the Semaphore :thu:

Archived