Vox Tonelab LE

kyrreca

• Members

So, my friend who is a casual guitar player has decided to buy a multi effects processor. I don't like multi-FX, so I'm not really able to help him. He's been looking at the Korg Vox Tonelab LE, does anyone have any experience with it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Members

from what I gather it's most people's favourite for Amp Sims.

True...if he's wanting amp sims from clean to crunchy this would be a good choice.

If he's happy with his amp and is just strictly looking for effects, he should look elsewhere.

• Members

He isn't specifically looking for amp sims. He isn't really very tone concious at all, he just wants effects. He just wants multi-fx pedal to use with his Marshall Valvestate. He was originally planning to get a Vox AD30, but decided he didn't really want the amp, just the effects. The reason he is considering the Tonelab is that he can get one for a relatively good price.

• Members
So, my friend who is a casual guitar player has decided to buy a multi effects processor. I don't like multi-FX, so I'm not really able to help him. He's been looking at the Korg Vox Tonelab LE, does anyone have any experience with it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I just got mine yesterday -- :thu: once you get the hang of it it rocks. I tested it direct into my mixer, and in the effects loop of my AC30CCH. WOW --- you can even turn off the model and cap sim and use the effects sections only. it is easy to program, sounds great, and makes the AC30 useable at lower volumes. I will use it direct most of the time - but it is nice to know it plays well with amps -- but just not in front of them :eek:-- well at least the AC30 didn't like it much in front, even at the lowest input gain setting it sucked --even on the normal channel. but that said I'm happy with it -- it sure beats my line six for authenticity the only thing that doesn't sound real good is the Wah but all you have to do is add a wahwah to the set up and use the pedal for other things :cool:

• Members
I just got mine yesterday --
:thu:
once you get the hang of it it rocks. I tested it direct into my mixer, and in the effects loop of my AC30CCH. WOW --- you can even turn off the model and cap sim and use the effects sections only. it is easy to program, sounds great, and makes the AC30 useable at lower volumes. I will use it direct most of the time - but it is nice to know it plays well with amps -- but just not in front of them
:eek:
-- well at least the AC30 didn't like it much in front, even at the lowest input gain setting it sucked --even on the normal channel. but that said I'm happy with it -- it sure beats my line six for authenticity the only thing that doesn't sound real good is the Wah but all you have to do is add a wahwah to the set up and use the pedal for other things
:cool:

Thanks for the input. Good to know about the effects loop issue. I'm not sure if his amp has loop, I'll have to ask him.

• Members
I just got mine yesterday --
:thu:
once you get the hang of it it rocks. I tested it direct into my mixer, and in the effects loop of my AC30CCH. WOW --- you can even turn off the model and cap sim and use the effects sections only. it is easy to program, sounds great, and makes the AC30 useable at lower volumes. I will use it direct most of the time - but it is nice to know it plays well with amps -- but just not in front of them
:eek:
-- well at least the AC30 didn't like it much in front, even at the lowest input gain setting it sucked --even on the normal channel. but that said I'm happy with it -- it sure beats my line six for authenticity the only thing that doesn't sound real good is the Wah but all you have to do is add a wahwah to the set up and use the pedal for other things
:cool:

So with the Tonelab in the effects loop of the AC30, do you use the effects only or do you use the amp models too?

• Members

My old guitar-teacher said to me a couple of years back that he thinks the Tonelab-series are the best modelers around and way better than PODs, for example.

Now I don't know about that, I don't use modelers, but I know that my old guitar-teacher is an excellent guitarist.

Make of that what you will ;)

• Members

So with the Tonelab in the effects loop of the AC30, do you use the effects only or do you use the amp models too?

I tried it both ways --- with the models it's more dramatic, and you can get sounds that the amp alone can't make. my guess is that I'll use the models most of the time in that situation. espcially since the AC 30 is soooooo {censored}ing loud that using the model of an AC30 allows you to get the sound your looking for at a much lower volume.

• Members

Well, I think he'd like the amp models too. He was initially going to buy a new amp (AD30), but changed his mind because the Tonelab has all the bells and whistles he was looking for in a new amp, plus more.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, guys. I gave my buddy a summary of your opinions, and he decided to go for it. He'll probably like it a lot (although he probably would have enjoyed a cheap Zoom multi-fx too)...

At least his new Tonelab and RC-2 will keep him occupied for a while. :)

• Members

If he just wants effects, he should go for a Boss GT-10. The Tonelab is a nice, warm-sounding processor but its flexibility as far as effects go is very limited. Even a GT-8 (which is more in step with the Tonelab's time of manufacture) is much, much better as far as effects go.

Archived