Is the Xotic BB for me?

DanJep

• Members

My dirt boxes I have currently sound really awesome with humbuckers but don't have the sound I'm looking for out of my strat. I watched the PGS demo of the BB on a strat and it seemed pretty good. Will the BB give me a nice cutting OD without getting splatty and muddy?

• Members

It's compressed yet open sounding. Not muddy at all. Really clear when you strum a chord. It's the only dirt on my board. All in my opinion of course.

One thing I would recommend is trying it out on your exact amp first. I hated on my Hot Rod Deluxe. It was like the distortion was playing over the clean sound. Like two signals were going in. Another forumite said it did the same thing with his amp. Luckily I bought a new amp and it sounds awesome.

• Members

I would suggest comparing the BB preamp and AC booster side by side. I have them both and they're both great OD/dirt pedals. I prefer the AC booster with single coils (strat) but the BB preamp is pretty good too (love it with my SG). I really don't need the RC booster but I'm such a fan of the Xotic pedals I'm going to get it anyway due to my extreme Xotic fanboi-ism now...... :love:

I can't remember where I first heard this comparison but I find it to be pretty accurate:

The BB preamp is better for a Marshallish boost/OD flavor and the AC booster is more like a broken up Fender type OD. That's oversimplifying it but somewhat accurate imo.

• Members
I would suggest comparing the BB preamp and AC booster side by side. I have them both and they're both great OD/dirt pedals. I prefer the AC booster with single coils (strat) but the BB preamp is pretty good too (love it with my SG). I really don't need the RC booster but I'm such a fan of the Xotic pedals I'm going to get it anyway due to my extreme Xotic fanboi-ism now......
:love:

I can't remember where I first heard this comparison but I find it to be pretty accurate:

The BB preamp is better for a Marshallish boost/OD flavor and the AC booster is more like a broken up Fender type OD. That's oversimplifying it but somewhat accurate imo.

I have both also. I agree with the BB having a Marshall flavor, but I always likened the AC to a more hi-fi, more controllable Tube Screamer.

• Members

I have both also. I agree with the BB having a Marshall flavor, but I always likened the AC to a more hi-fi, more controllable Tube Screamer.

I think your assessment of the AC booster is pretty accurate. That's a good way of putting it. But to me it's more than a Fender type breakup or a more versatile Tube screamer. It's a great overall OD box with some familiar characteristics (tube screamer-ish) and kind of it's own thing going on at the same time. Hi-fi is another way of saying very articulate to me which it's certainly capable of. But also can be trashy sounding and a bit out of control if you crank the gain and are playing at high volume (which is a good thing to me).

Archived