I'm ready to blow up my Zvex board

• Members

I played an outdoor gig last night and I need to re-think my board I could not cut through the mix to save my life.

I was using a Box of Metal for my main tone and the boost side of the Box of Rock for my solos. I'm doing classic rock stuff and with the drive turned down on the BoM it really has a good rock sound. I been using a Legacy with 4x12 Greenbacks and it's kinda of a dark sounding amp. The BoM is just weird to boost any ideas before I start over?

• Members

both of those pedals are gonna sound GREAT through a LOUD CLEAN AMP.

and are gonna sound anemic and buzzy through a high gain channel.

just my observations. I had a BoR and it sounded DAMN GOOD through a Fender Twin.

• Members

add an eq pedal at the end of your chain to boost your signal,and scooped mid tone.i've had trouble cutting through eith other gear before and the eq saved me more then once.but i agree with the post above,a scooped pedal is tuff to hear in a mix.outside "crank your mids".

• Members
Whassup Mr Bluetone! You just need to come to my place little brother and try out a bunch of stuff. I guarantee you'll leave here with enough GAS to drop the price of a barrell of oil
:eek::cool:

Happy 4th to you and Mrs B. Miss you guys!!!!!!!!!
:wave:

You know Rev we might just be headed up your way one of these days!

• Members

You used a mid-scooped pedal at an outdoor gig. Thats pretty much a formula for not cutting. I wouldn't ever expect to sound great outdoors though. Too much dispersion without focus.

+1

its hard to aim your cab outside cuz theres nowhere to focus other then "overthere somwhere". its sort of like trying to pour water in a water bottle using a funnel vs. not IMO

and +1 to whoever said use the boss and leave the zvex at home. again, just my 0.02$ but boss = 40-60$, zvex = 200-400$, possibility of an entire board of zvex "going missing"=much greater then boss.

• Members

I haven't played a outdoor gig yet, but...

I can only add my voice to the chorus, go with the clean channel and boost up some mids.

Prior to my Crate V3112 I used a half stack with a Peavey Valveking 100w head with a B52 cab I could never get noticed in the mix.

With my 30w Crate (which is a very strong mid EQ presence), I have it barely on 2 and have no problem being heard.

• Members

Personally I'd never use a pedal like the BOR/BOM over a tube driven crunch channel.

Good advice... I used to use lots of distorsion pedals and never like my tone, once I started using the crunch channel on my Hot Rod Deluxe... I sold 'em all and got pedals that enhance my amp tone. YEAH!

• Members

I thought the BOM was too mushy for me....

I think the boost channel on the BOR is...not that great. It doesn't sound as good as my SHO anywaYS....

it seems weird to read having a problem cutting thru with vex stuff. I don't think you are using them correctly?:confused:

• Members

Good advice... I used to use lots of distorsion pedals and never like my tone, once I started using the crunch channel on my Hot Rod Deluxe... I sold 'em all and got pedals that enhance my amp tone. YEAH!

and here i think the worst aspect of the HRD is it's 'crunch channel' as you call it. it sounds like {censored} to me...tho the clean is very good from that amp:thu:

Archived