DIY people: how do NPN's vary?

• Members

Alot of differences you look at the spec sheet some can handle more voltage some are better for high frequency circuits some are better for switching circuits there are small signal and power transistors and all kinds designed for different applications.

They all work the same way but some are better at some things than others.

• Members

The term "NPN" only tells you that it's a slice of P doped semiconductor sandwiched between two blocks of N doped semiconductor. Beyond this, there are thousands of different types, each intended for different uses.

Some are relatively large pieces of silicon meant to pass large currents, while others are extremely small and meant for low-voltage small-signal applications.

They come in a wide assortment of packages, from big diamond shaped TO-5 power transistor cans, to tiny surface-mounted SOT's.

This is a hugely broad question. It's like asking "I see there are a lot of different two-door sedan models - what's the difference".

• Members

Thanks guys,

Basically I was just looking at some schematics to build up and wondered what effect swapping out aome of the transistors would have..I don't want to fry anything, but hey, components are nice and cheap.

I guess I'll just have some fun! I'll post video results when I've breadboarded some stuff up.

Archived