Fuse for Squier Champ 15 ss practice amp question...

DeuceII

• Members

I tried this in the amp forum, but apparently this amp doesn't qualify as "bringing teh brewtalz" (duh) and so isn't worth comment/answers.

I blew the fuse in my teaching/practice amp, and then stupidly lost it before writing down what type it was. The inside of the amp says "T500mA 120v", and it was one of the smaller size fuses. I went to Radio Shack and found out it's a 5x20mm physical size, and they had .5A fuses but only at 250v. From looking around on the 'net, the "T" stands for medium blow as opposed to fast or slow blow, and the 120v means approximately "if running at 120v (US Standard) then use a 500mA." So does it matter what the rating of the fuse voltage is? I only saw 125v and 250v at RS, which made me confused.

Anybody help me out? The best advice I got from the amp forum was "whatever fuse will cause it to burst into flames, as that's the desired result" and a +1 to that comment. I'm hoping I can find some better ideas here.

• Members

I had the same problem with my fender champ 300, which was rated 250V and was .5A. Upon using this fuse, however, the amp still blew said fuse again, so I ended up using a fuse rates for 1 amp, as opposed to the .5 It has't made the amp burst into flames yet, so hopefully using a higher rated fuse should have no real impact on the amp. You should do as I did, however, and for the first five uses of the amp or so, have easy access to the insides so you can take the larger fuse out if you say, smell smoke or something. :p Whether its fast or slow blow didnt matter to me either.

tl:dr: Just ask for a fuse rated for .5A, and if it still blows, use a 1 amp fuse.

• 13 years later...