Xotica BB Plus Preamp Pedal

• Members

I have one. I haven't tried the BB preamp, so I can't compare it in terms of similarity. The BB+ has plenty of gain on tap, both for single-coils and humbuckers, and I find that I can get some really great rock-on rhythm crunch (Marshallish) using channel B. I then have channel A set with gain at 8:30 - 9:00 and boost B, which will give you some nice soaring lead tones.

I do not use it for low-gain as I have other pedals fullfilling that duty, so I can't really give you a review in that arena.

I have been looking for a medium to high gain pedal for some time, and tried quite a few in the search (aiming at filling the void after the BJF DRD I stupidely sold). Many pedals came and went. So far, the BB+ seems like a stayer. Great pedal.

• Members

I have one. I haven't tried the BB preamp, so I can't compare it in terms of similarity. The BB+ has plenty of gain on tap, both for single-coils and humbuckers, and I find that I can get some really great rock-on rhythm crunch (Marshallish) using channel B. I then have channel A set with gain at 8:30 - 9:00 and boost B, which will give you some nice soaring lead tones.

I do not use it for low-gain as I have other pedals fullfilling that duty, so I can't really give you a review in that arena.

I have been looking for a medium to high gain pedal for some time, and tried quite a few in the search (aiming at filling the void after the BJF DRD I stupidely sold). Many pedals came and went. So far, the BB+ seems like a stayer. Great pedal.

WORD

• Members

Ooh nice. Got an offer to trade my Blue Boy Deluxe for one. Good trade, yeah?

*edit*

Not the plus version. How do they differ?

DAMMIT....I've been trying to land a BB Preamp and I just don't seem to have the stuff that other people want.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone here try one of these out? Just picked one up yesterday. So far probably the best od/dirt I have treid. Can go from a subbtle od to full blast. Opinions welcomed.

Xotic That is!!

I just picked up a BB Preamp along with their RC and AC boosters. I had Toshio wire them up to run up to 18 volts (which is how I like to run them). They all sound awesome and they work well together too. Between those three and my Skreddy Top Fuel and Screwdriver, I have all my dirt needs more than covered.

The BB into my AC Booster sounds awesome for lead tones and, of course they sound great individually too. The RC is my Klon killer. :)

• Members

Anyone here try one of these out? Just picked one up yesterday. So far probably the best od/dirt I have treid. Can go from a subbtle od to full blast. Opinions welcomed.

Xotic That is!!

...so no trade then?

• Members

yeah, its basically 2 BB circuits in one box.

you can play with them together or use it one channel at a time

so yes, you can make it sound identical to the regular BB

Thanks, and sorry if I'm being tedious, but are you absolutely positive about this? I read a guy say he preferred the tone of the regular.

• Members

I bought one new recently, but sent it back. I was disappointed for two reasons, which may not bother others. First, there was so much gain on both sides, I found it hard to make it subtle where it sounded good. I also have a Reeza, and while that also has a lot of gain, when it's turned back, it sounds good. I just could not get a good sound out of the BB Preamp side. The other side B, was good, but again, it had a wicked amount of gain. I liked the tone tweaking abilities of the B side, better than A. Almost a metal pedal.

My other gripe was the volume. With the gain turned up some, the volume would get exteremly loud, so I kep turning it down, to the point where it was almost off. I wish it had been more useable.

I have an RC Booster which I love, and I was tempted to go with the AC Booster Plus, but the guys at PGS said they get a lot of those returned, and that they sound "metal" like.

I ended up trying three other overdrives, with the Box of Rock being my favorite. Saved me $50 over the BB+. The BoR just suited my amp better, and my playing style as well.

• Members

I bought one new recently, but sent it back. I was disappointed for two reasons, which may not bother others. First, there was so much gain on both sides, I found it hard to make it subtle where it sounded good. I also have a Reeza, and while that also has a lot of gain, when it's turned back, it sounds good. I just could not get a good sound out of the BB Preamp side. The other side B, was good, but again, it had a wicked amount of gain. I liked the tone tweaking abilities of the B side, better than A. Almost a metal pedal.

My other gripe was the volume. With the gain turned up some, the volume would get exteremly loud, so I kep turning it down, to the point where it was almost off. I wish it had been more useable.

I have an RC Booster which I love, and I was tempted to go with the AC Booster Plus, but the guys at PGS said they get a lot of those returned, and that they sound "metal" like.

I ended up trying three other overdrives, with the Box of Rock being my favorite. Saved me $50 over the BB+. The BoR just suited my amp better, and my playing style as well.

I TOLJA YOU'D LOVE TEH BOR!!!!!!!!

Thank me later.

• Members

I TOLJA YOU'D LOVE TEH BOR!!!!!!!!

Thank me later.

I'll thank you now. Crxxsh is a big fan too.The BoR with the gain not too high, and the Reeza also without the gain too high, sound great together. No need for the BB Preamp. And I'm a big Xotic fan, the RC Booster is a great little pedal. But the BoR does everything I need from an overdrive, and it works great with an overdriven amp too. The Boost is a feature I wasn't sure I would like/use, but it works very well on this pedal. Definitely worth the $.

• Members

I'll thank you now. Crxxsh is a big fan too.The BoR with the gain not too high, and the Reeza also without the gain too high, sound great together. No need for the BB Preamp. And I'm a big Xotic fan, the RC Booster is a great little pedal. But the BoR does everything I need from an overdrive, and it works great with an overdriven amp too. The Boost is a feature I wasn't sure I would like/use, but it works very well on this pedal. Definitely worth the $.

I run the BoR at the end of my "dirt" chain and before my modulation/delay effects.

In this way, it acts more like a preamp than a pedal (with the mod and delay in the "loop") run into my valve junior. I've pretty much got it on all the time, since barely a touch of my volume knob makes the signal clean as a whistle, but still full.

The Germania (treble booster) in front of the BoR is a very special thing, indeed. :thu:

I'm still holding out for a BB Preamp, though (the small one) to replace my Powerscreamer. I love the PS, don't get me wrong, but the BB clips just make me all moist.

(P.S. I've also got a Timmy sitting on my kitchen table that I can't bring myself to plug into my chain because I can't risk loving it as I want it for trade bait).

Archived