guitar on bass amp (distortion needed, help)

itoru

• Members

my guitar amp is too weak for band rehearsals so my friend said that he could give me his bass amp (i have no idea what kind of but i'm sure it's not some expensive amp) and the problem is that bass amp don't have it's own distortion so i'll be needing some distortion pedal. so, what do you recommend? i'm not really into spending huge amount of money on it but i think i could afford some ds-1, metalzone, big muff (US version or that black russian)... the thing is i have no idea what would be the best so i'm asking you to recommend something... as for the stuff we would play, let's say we're into some groovy hardcore/alternative rock, bands like rage against the machine, snot, tool, soungarden, at the drive-in... + i also like grunge/sludge/stoner rock sounds of kyuss, melvins, queens of the stone age, baroness and so on...

• Members

i'd probably save up 200 bucks or whatever and buy an amp instead of blow 50 on a pedal you might not use again.

I concur

Actually, there is a Johnson modeling amp in the SPAM thread. Not a bad deal.

• Members

welcome to the forums

If you don't have a good amp, a distortion pedal probably won't sound good. A bass amp is likely to have a lot of high frequencies that probably won't sound good on guitar. So your best bet is saving for a decent amp.

That said... a Rat is a good all around pedal that is likely to suit you well. You'll probably like a big muff as well (but I don't find them very versatile, so I would recommend a Rat first).

• Members

all of the advice so far has been on point. basically getting a better amp is the best option.

however, to answer your question more directly, if you can find a rat for a good price, grab one. big muff is also a good idea. depends on the music you play.

• Members

huh, i know it would be better to buy some normal guitar amp but the thing is... i don't really have much money and after all, we're not really some serious band. i mean, we like playing and stuff but it's just for our own fun. equipment is always a problem cuz we're poor. :cry::D
i'm glad that noone asked what guitar i have, haha... (it's no-name stratocaster copy, HSS)

• Members

ok. everyone seems to be telling you to get a better amp.
but none of us knows what kind of bass amp your friend is going to lend you.
it could be something great. find out and let us know.

my musicman head has both guitar/bass inputs and i run into the bass input always , before that i used to run through my Ampeg rig.

id say go witha Rat+Big Muff.

• Members

I recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey (tubescreamer knockoff). Use the DI out on it, has a speaker sim that isn't too shabby.

That's not a bad idea. I don't know if a Bad Monkey would be my first choice for the bands the OP listed (although TS's are always useful), but I tried running guitar > POD > bass amp the other day and the results were ok.

• Members

Ok, from experience, here's my $.02: Bass amps are usually solid state and many overdrive pedals, particularly tubescreamer-based pedals, really need to be pushing a tube amp to sound there best. IMHO, they tend to sound a bit thin into SS amps...a distortion pedal might work better. The bass amp will most likely have a ton of clean headroom and, well, "bass"...so, if you have a good sounding distortion pedal you'll hear it without a lot tonal interference from the preamp. A cheap modeler would be a good choice for your situation, too. Personally, i'd grab a Sansamp GT2...

• Members

If you want to get ATDI type tones, you might want to check out a HiWatt bass head, if that's an option. Omar used a HiWatt bass head through his old Marshall 4x12 towards the end of ATDI and in the beginning of TMV. He complained about his old OD120 and AD140 sounding too thin with all his pedals in front. If you want to emphasize some of the guitar's frequencies, grab an EQ pedal to run with a dirt pedal, say a modded DS-1 or RAT, and you'll be set. But be warned that re-tubes are a bitch on bass amps.

• Members

So far, I think the recommendations to use a pedal with a direct out are probably the best. You'll get the closest to the sound you're expecting that way. Also, above poster was right, go for distortion or fuzz, not overdrive or boost. If you don't go with a direct line-out pedal, again, a Big Muff or RAT will probably get you there for now. A cheap EQ to dial in the sound is a really good idea, too.

And, yeah, we all started somewhere. My first guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar II Strat copy, SSS, and my first amp was a Peavey Backstage (I think), which I eventually traded in for a Fender M-80. Those were not good days for the tonez... But we had fun!

Archived