OK, Amp Is Here. Help Please. It's Buggered To F*CK!

NetStar

• Members

Don't {censored}ing believe it. I've waited all day for this thing

Firstly, it looks great. Yeah done that.

It was really well boxed. Double boxed loads of Bubble wrapped and padding....

Ok, first thing I notice, Speaker has not one but four tears in it:mad:

Master volume Knob is crackly as {censored} and doesn't give me the massive volume sweep I was expecting.

In relation to this, it doesn't overdrive as quickly as I would have thought...and when it does (Gain nearly all the way up) It has this crackly overtone that is probably on account of the FOUR tears/holes in the speaker paper....

Footswitch (With attatched Stereo lead doesn't turn Reverb on or off, just Trem (Trem is lovely in case you're wondering...) And it isn't really all that deep.

Yeah, that's about it.

So, Firstly what do i do with the seller?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260257619138&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

There is NO {censored}ING WAY, I am sending this back. What should my slant be?

And what do I need to make this amp shine. It's got the potential and when it's clean and Quieter than I would like, it is {censored}ing awesome, tears and all.

brit guys, how much is a service going to set me back and a set of new valves? I'm not looking for Boutique qualities OOMMGzzz tonezz, just something that is better than the obvious pieces of {censored} in there.

New Speaker?

Probably, new valves?

Something to do with the reverb?

Maybe new Footswitch? The new Vox type....is there any reaon why it wouldn't work, or is the problem likely to be internal?

Seriously guys, any mojo and help appreciated.

You all now how seriously stoked I was to have won this and should have seen it coming...

:arg::arg::arg::arg:

• Members

If it's ripped and crackly personally I'd tell him I want my money back. If it was described like that then fair enough but he's described it as immaculate we is plainly bull{censored}.

Contact spray may sort out the master volume crackles but it's whether you are happy about messing around with it.

• Members

He didn't put it in teh description, but in a reply to someone else's Q he wrote

Hi there, I will be putting up more pictures in the next day or so. The Vox is in immaculate condition, it has never been n a smokey environment. The grill cloth is ok, no problems there. Delivery next day in the UK will cost 20.00. And if you require insurance this will cost you an additional

• Members
try and get him to pay for repairs

+2

all these horror stories about buying an amp off ebay make me really hesitant. i'm tempted to try my luck, but i'm afraid the seller will skimp when it comes to packing it right, :mad:

• Members

Sharon Campbell
Silverwing Uk LTD
Unit 31 CWNDU Industrial Estate
Carmarthen Road
Swansea
CF62 3BD

It's obviously been shipped through UPS on their account.

Go get her, big boy.

Al15 Watts of Valve Power

EL84 Eqiupt

Accutronics Reverb/Tremelo Effect

Footswitch supplied

Line out/output on back from ext cabnets to be connected

1x12 inch Vox heavy duty Bulldog Speaker

Immaculate condition
, great valve distortion at home levels, loud enough for small gigs

Master volume control overall volume

Input volume when turned up, which adds valve drive to signal

One ownerso, from the description

Gotcha...Hopefully

• Members
+2

all these horror stories about buying an amp off ebay make me really hesitant. i'm tempted to try my luck, but i'm afraid the seller will skimp when it comes to packing it right,
:mad:

my first one was fine.

Not an issue.

• Members

I got my Marshall half stack from Ebay years ago, but I did go to the guys house to collect. I'd already won the auction, but I'm sure I wouldve told him where to shove it if it was in bad nick.

Cheers for the address. It's a bit far, but I gave you my word. I'll start by clogging myself up with dark chocolate double muffins, then continue to add layers of guinness and curry and dried fruits. I'll head on up there in a day or two to leave my negative feedback.

• Members
I'll start by clogging myself up with dark chocolate double muffins, then continue to add layers of guinness and curry and dried fruits. I'll head on up there in a day or two to leave my negative feedback.

you're a true hero :love:

• Members
Cheers,

I mean, looking at the top panel, there's some scratches and stuff round the decals...Fine, I could let that go....but this.

Oh and make it four tears plus one that has gaffa taped up
:deadhorse:

They say they're the only owner, and they say the amp is immaculate, yet one of the tears in the speakers is repaired? This means one of 2 things:

1) The amp was a second/was damaged when the original owner bought it

2) They repaired it themselves and knew the amp wasn't immaculate, so they were trying to take you for a ride.

Either way, its not as described, and you're fully entitled to your money back, or suggest to them that they pay for repairs. Repairs shouldn't cost much, a new volume pot and either a reconing or a new speaker (it isn't a blue, so shouldn't cost too much) should come up to around

• Members

Speaker: if he's gaffataped it, he should have mentioned it. That's bull{censored} and he's lied in the advert. 'Immaculate condition' means 'immaculate condition', not 'torn and mended with tape'. Is there anything that could have fallen off in the post to actually tear the speaker?

Footswitch: might just be a connection problem. This could be repaired pretty easily. I'm fairly sure mine used to be erratic with the reverb on/off switch too and it was a brand new switch when I had it.

Valves: hard to say what state the valves are in. Have you got a valve amp right now you could test the Vox valves with? That way, you'll easily find out which are {censored} and which aren't.

I wouldn't send this back quite yet. I would contact the seller and query about the Master Volume crackle and definitely query the state of the speaker. I'll drop some stuff to you in a PM now...

• Members

Right.

First, what's sort of speaker should I be looking for?
Obviously in an ideal world i would have an Alnico Blue. Is that taking the piss? Am I in my right to take teh piss a bit? Or should i just opt for a Vintage 30 or something?

Valves
Looks liek I want
5x ECC83, 2x EL84, 5Y3 Rectifier

Archived