Crossover distortion

LSMFT6

• Members

I have a Zvex Machine, which is apparently the first pedal to feature crossover distortion.

It generates the distortion of the wave in the sloped part of the cycle, instead of the peaks and valleys like all other distorters and fuzzes. In other words, it distorts when your guitar string is in the middle of vibrating, while it's swinging, not as it's turning around. That's the same place where your speaker cone is sort of coasting, between all the way in and all the way out. Where nothing is happening, this pedal happens.

Mr. Vex explains it pretty well there I think.

I love the pedal, but it delves into the sonicness of white noise. Impossible with chords. Pretty much turned on for freakouts. I have to role the input and limit back or it'll just sound like death static--I mean it does all the time, but the guitar's coming through still at the right levels, but there's a balance.

• Members

Ah, OK. I thought it was like a biamped distortion, where you could have different EQ/gain settings for your low and high frequencies without them interfering with each other.
Someone should make that.

• Moderators

There are several commercial pedals that feature crossover distortion as part of their sound... the DOD American Metal comes to mind but I may not have the right name there. Boss has one (or more) as well.

regards, Jack

Archived