Diff between Marshall Guv'nor /England & /Korea

• Members

Hi,

Does anyone know what the difference in components is between the eailier English made Guv'nor overdrive pedal, and the ones that are made in Korea now? There's a significant difference in price and I'm wonder what is this due to?

Thanks,

KFP

• Members

Don't even get me started. Goddamned Marshall anyway, making a brilliant pedal cheaply from common components that sounded better than most of the amps they ever made and then discontinuing production in time to release their worst amp line ever; the JCM 900 series. Just to pour salt in the consumers wound they eventually put out a terrible sounding version of the pedal that doesn't even deserve to share the namesake of Gov'nor and charge three times what the original went for, making the original an uneccessarily, overpriced collectable.

• Members

Don't even get me started. Goddamned Marshall anyway, making a brilliant pedal cheaply from common components that sounded better than most of the amps they ever made and then discontinuing production in time to release their worst amp line ever; the JCM 900 series. Just to pour salt in the consumers wound they eventually put out a terrible sounding version of the pedal that doesn't even deserve to share the namesake of Gov'nor and charge three times what the original went for, making the original an uneccessarily, overpriced collectable.

+1

• Members

Hi Purplexi,

Thanks for replying. I'm guessing there is a significant difference in components used. Unfortunately there's nothing on youtube comparing the two. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the ridgey-didgey original, and the also-named korean made guv'nor, which looked the same except there is a little more purple striping on the front.

There's heaps of GV-2s going around but that's not what I'm after.

I just missed one of the original ones on ebay -- went for $150.

• Members

Shame you guys aren't in the UK. Original guv'nors can still be had pretty cheaply on ebay here (unlike shredmasters). You guys _may_ find it cheaper to buy one from the UK and ship it. 150 sounds like a lot for one even accounting for exchange rates.

Oh, and BTW the original Guv'nor is miles better than the GV2. After having one for nearly 20 years I compared it to a GV2 a little while ago. The GV2 sucked in comparison.

• Members

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the ridgey-didgey original, and the also-named korean made guv'nor, which looked the same except there is a little more purple striping on the front.

There's heaps of GV-2s going around but that's not what I'm after.

I'm with you....as far as I know there isn't any difference in the circuit and they sound the same to me, but you know people will swear otherwise. If you can get a non-uk made one much cheaper I would go for that.

• Members

I'm with you....as far as I know there isn't any difference in the circuit and they sound the same to me, but you know people will swear otherwise. If you can get a non-uk made one much cheaper I would go for that.

Wow really? You can't hear any difference? I don't have very critical bat ears or anything but I could clearly hear the difference between the two versions. The GV2 sounded thin and fizzy and harsh to my ears. Maybe I just got a rubbish one or something, but I thought it was pants compared to the black original one.

Ah well, you pay your money, you take your choice I suppose... we all have different ears and opinions after all :)

• Members

Wow really? You can't hear any difference? I don't have very critical bat ears or anything but I could clearly hear the difference between the two versions. The GV2 sounded thin and fizzy and harsh to my ears. Maybe I just got a rubbish one or something, but I thought it was pants compared to the black original one.

Ah well, you pay your money, you take your choice I suppose... we all have different ears and opinions after all
:)

we aren't talking about the GV2.

• Members

Oh, I've just made an arse of myself haven't I? Pwned, or some such internet speak. You're not talking of the GV2 are you. I'll go and put my pointy hat on and sit in the corner. :facepalm:

Still, I stand by what I said even if it's totally irrellevent to this thread.

I'll go now.

have some coffee.

..and try to wake up...

• Members

Oh, I've just made an arse of myself haven't I? Pwned, or some such internet speak. You're not talking of the GV2 are you. I'll go and put my pointy hat on and sit in the corner.
:facepalm:

Still, I stand by what I said even if it's totally irrellevent to this thread.

I'll go now.

have some coffee.

..and try to wake up...

hahahaha, yes I agree the Gv2 isn't very good. :thu:

:lol::facepalm:;)

• Members

i like to insert things into my guv'nor.

so which is the red line version.. ahh.. just looked at it. made in korea. so the UK one is earlier and has purple stripes? what time period's were each made?

• Members

i like to insert things into my guv'nor.

so which is the red line version.. ahh.. just looked at it. made in korea. so the UK one is earlier and has purple stripes? what time period's were each made?

i don't know when manufacturing moved to Korea, but this is the one i've got:

(Made in England.)

afeb_12.jpg

da04_12.jpg

• Members

Looking at those pictures is interesting, kpd78. I was assuming that the kind that had more red/purple stripes, like yours there, were made in Korea. I guess the outer design changes didn't go with the manufacturing location change.

If people are really interested in seeing what the diff in decoration is, check out Ishibashi, they label /Korea or /England.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

Archived