OCD or Vox Cooltron Over The Top Boost.... HELP?

ghost219

• Members

i'm having trouble deciding which to go for. i get plenty of distortion from my Peavey JSX head. i keep it on the crunch (amber) channel with gain set to 3 to 4 1/2 (depending on how much sustain i want). i love my distortion for the most part but i'm wanting something a little thicker. i've messed with my bass and mids and i can coax a fat tone but there's still this high end . my guitar is a schecter 006 blackjack with duncans: '59 neck - JB bridge. any input is very much appreciated. i've checked out the reviews for each pedal at proguitarshop.com and i'm very torn. i really like the English sound both pedals put out... throaty,fluid, bassy overdrive.

• Members

I have both pedals, but haven't used the Cooltron OTTB in a long time, and haven't even bothered to a/b them. I hope to get around to compare them one of these days, so I can decide to let go the Cooltron.

The OCD is a no brainer. Great tone, very dynamic, goes well with both humbuckers and single coils, and is quite portable compared to the Cooltron. The latter however gives a great British sound, IIRC, and is why I got it a year ago. It can serve as a clean boost.

fwiw, I use strats (with SD Antiquity/Kinman Trad MkII pup sets), tele (w/ a bridge Twang King), lp with seth lovers, and a nighthawk through the OCD into a Blues Jr and Pro Jr.; I'm equally satisfied with any combination of guitar and amp by setting the amp's vol. to the point of breakup and using my guitar's vol. pot to go from clean to crunch. I leave the OCD always on.

Hope that helps...

• Members

You are all very kind. Thank you for your replies. I'm also going for a circa survive tone. I know they rely on amp OD but they have a soldano decatone and a Marshall 800... Very nice and expensive amps. Doesnt the OCD sound best when powered by 18volts?

• Members

You are all very kind. Thank you for your replies. I'm also going for a circa survive tone. I know they rely on amp OD but they have a soldano decatone and a Marshall 800... Very nice and expensive amps. Doesnt the OCD sound best when powered by 18volts?

It sounds louder and has more headroom but "better" is subjective and I think it sounds good with both 9 and 18V.

• Members

I'm thinking headroom is something I want less of if I want a beefier tone.

Not necessarily. Having less headroom means that your signal gets more compressed, which can make your playing sound less dynamic and less "beefy." Let me put it this way: the more headroom you have, the more room for apparent volume increase you have. This leaves you more room for stacking with other pedals, too, for even more dirty goodness. I'm not sure whether you'll prefer 9 or 18 volts, though. That's a matter of taste.

• Members

I think you'll be surprised how much more dynamics, "good" headroom, and gain you'll get from even a lower-gain overdrive than the OCD. I personally think the OCD shines in its mid-gain settings, and this might create a fuzzy or undefined drive when mixed with your amp's distortion. I'd strongly recommend something along the lines of an HBE Germania or Xotic AC - boost pedals capable of some tone shaping and light overdrive. You might want to start out by just trying a tubescreamer type pedal, then explore these other low-gain distortion options. The sound you're describing doesn't seem like a compressor would be necessary.

Another serious option would be to swap your jsx for a used marshall :idk:

• Members

My advice to you is to try everything out until you find a usable sound that you enjoy.

This is the correct answer.

But, as a pointer, I think that lowering the gain on the amp and using the gain from the OCD, or vise versa, is a damn good place to start.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion. I really like my amp though because it is very versatile despite my expressed dismay. I think I'll try the OCD. First as a stand alone drive then as a boost. I'm still wondering about the vox since it seems to offer slightly more tone-shaping. I'm def going for the OCD but this is more of a what-if. Also, i'm looking to get either a holy grail or an MM4. my rig is currently: ernie ball 6166 mono>boss TU2>Danelectro cool cat chorus (older 18v)>line 6 tonecore echo park>line 6 dl4. then i'm also using my amp FS and power everything with a voodoo lab pedal power 2plus.

Archived