Schaller tremolo with moving arms

• Members

hello, i'm new to this forum, maybe someone can help me in this matter.

On german Ebay I got hold of a Schaller tremolo, built like a pretty big box, with some kind of moving, spinning thing inside. I've tried to find some information about it on internet, but it seems pretty rare, can't find anything.

Has anyone seen this unit before? I am also wondering what kind of money something like this could be worth?

Thanks

Nik

schaller.jpg

• Members

Iirc thats simply a mechanical tremelo, something to do with a canister of electrolytic fluid inside that gets turned and thus the voltage changes creating the tremelo effect. Post a pic of the insides if you can, might be able to help a bit better :)

• Members

I haven't seen one of those Schaller trems before I must admit, can't put a pricetag on it, 100-150 euros methinks

this Schaller does not contain the toxic oilcan thingie

it's a mechanical Tremolo allright, presumably dates back to the fifties.

contains an electromotor that moves a tin foil that between a photocell and a lightbulb. Speed is controlled in a similar manner as the good old turntables. A similar pedal exists under the Framus label

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

• Members

.... what do you mean 3red?

that's why they don't make them anymore and no one has reissued them. they used to use rotating drums for reverb, delay and tremelo but the oil they used to use has been banned

• Members

that's why they don't make them anymore and no one has reissued them. they used to use rotating drums for reverb, delay and tremelo but the oil they used to use has been banned

that is a common misconception

Zak Izbinsky, Richard Bills and Jamie Ray dug out the detailed info, as displayed at the Tel-Ray site. The "real stuff" replacement oil for the oilcan effects is Union Carbide "Ucon" LB-65 oil. It is not carcinogenic, and not PCB oil.

• Members

yup, that's what I tried to explain in my post as well

I don't even think the Schaller Echo units used oil, they were similar to the Binson Echorecs ...

cool bieke just backing you up !

now I need to find one of these tel ray echos they look super cool :love:

but I fear unless I lived in California I'm not gonna trip up on one in a pawn shop :cry:

Archived