Noise issue with Sunface (NKT)...

• Members

The last few days, I've been getting a crackling/hissing sound that gets more pronounced as I turn my guitar volume down. The bias (sundial) knob is crackling a little when I turn it, as well, and while I realize that's normal for the fuzz knob, I hadn't noticed it with the bias knob before.

I did just put a new battery in it not long ago (An Eveready 'black cat' carbon zinc). Could that have anything to do with it? RF interference, maybe? It's popping more when I switch it on, as well, btw, but that goes away when I take other pedals out of the chain, and it helps when I switch it off and on a few times (static charge, maybe?). Could the two issues be related?

• Members

I think you need to plug the guitar into just the sunface into an amp and try to narrow it down. Turn the guitar all the way down so you can hear what's coming out of the pedal. Then you can turn knobs and see if you might have a dirty pot.

Also clean and retension the input and output jacks. I just had a SUPER noisy wah pedal here and when I bent the input jack in for more tension, the noise went away. Also check the battery clip by wiggling it and see if that causes noise. There are a million things that can cause the noise so best to plug in, open up the pedal, and probe around with a chopstick or something and see if you can locate the cause of the noise (bad solder joint, failing switch contact, jack, pot, etc)

Good luck!

• Members
I think you need to plug the guitar into just the sunface into an amp and try to narrow it down. Turn the guitar all the way down so you can hear what's coming out of the pedal. Then you can turn knobs and see if you might have a dirty pot.

Also clean and retension the input and output jacks. I just had a SUPER noisy wah pedal here and when I bent the input jack in for more tension, the noise went away. Also check the battery clip by wiggling it and see if that causes noise. There are a million things that can cause the noise so best to plug in, open up the pedal, and probe around with a chopstick or something and see if you can locate the cause of the noise (bad solder joint, failing switch contact, jack, pot, etc)

Good luck!

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you'd chime in. I'll probably check into it later tonight. The noise increases as I turn my guitar volume down, if that means anything.:idk:

Archived