Well...I'm broke for a while...(ANOTHER New Laptop Day)

Noise...

• Members

Last night the Sony Vaio I posted about developed a stuck pixel. I tried for quite a while to get it "unstuck" with every method I could find, but to no avail.

I took it back to Best Buy this morning to get it fixed or exchange it for another. Geeksquad couldn't do anything, but the guy was super helpful anyway. He suggested that I just return it and get another.

This is where it gets odd...There wasn't another one. Not just in the store, but in the entire country. They discontinued the laptop, and brought out a whole new line in a week.

So, my options were a:) pick another laptop, or b:) keep the old one and try to ignore the neon green stuck pixel. I took option A.

I ended up grabbing the new Sony Vaio that replaced mine the VGN-NR498E/W. The downside, despite the awesome upgrades (noticeably better disk drive, keyboard, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo over the 1.8GHz in the old one, and 3GB of RAM over the 2GB that the old model had), is that it was $250 more.

So, now I'm broke again, but have a bitching hot laptop that's future-proofed for quite a while. I'd say it's worth it. :lol:

Pics;

8892816_sa.jpg

8892816cv2a.jpg

• Members

In the pics, it looks very Mac-like. In person, not so much. It has a more rounded look to it, as well as having the casing all textured. I love the look of the VGN-NR Vaios. Nice and modern, while keeping all the good stuff.

I looked into Macbooks, but I wanted a 15.4" screen. the 13.3" screen on the cheaper Macbooks just seemed small to me. :idk: Aside from that, $1100 for a Macbook with minimum specs is a bit hard to swallow. Plus, I do a little bit of gaming, and with a Mac it's not really easy to do without bootcamping with XP or Vista, which means even more money.

Sdres, I know. Future-proofing is near impossible with technology. I was talking about future-proofing for the next 3 months or so until it's old technology. :lol:

Super Velcroboy, I hope mine lasts a good while. I try to take really good care of my electronic stuff, so it should last...

I just finished getting my music library transferred onto it...Definitely not fun to do twice in one week. :lol:

Now I'm going to get Ableton installed and rock a Rhodes model for a while. :thu:

• Members
I ended up grabbing the new Sony Vaio that replaced mine the VGN-NR498E/W. The downside, despite the awesome upgrades
(noticeably better disk drive, keyboard, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo over the 1.8GHz in the old one, and 3GB of RAM over the 2GB that the old model had)

Pics;

8892816_sa.jpg

8892816cv2a.jpg

Now you're talking!! :thu:

• Members
:thu:

I'm surprised at how much difference the processor is making. Going from the 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo to the 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo made a BIG difference in the speed of the computer - that plus the RAM makes it cruise.

I have about 8GB of music, and it transferred all of it in about 6 minutes. With the 1.83GHz it took 10 mins, and with a 1.6GHz Dual-Core it took about 13 mins.

Quite a difference.

And no green pixels staring at me. :love:

• Members
In the pics, it looks very Mac-like. In person, not so much. It has a more rounded look to it, as well as having the casing all textured. I love the look of the VGN-NR Vaios. Nice and modern, while keeping all the good stuff.

I looked into Macbooks, but I wanted a 15.4" screen. the 13.3" screen on the cheaper Macbooks just seemed small to me.
:idk:
Aside from that, $1100 for a Macbook with minimum specs is a bit hard to swallow. Plus, I do a little bit of gaming, and with a Mac it's not really easy to do without bootcamping with XP or Vista, which means even more money.

Sdres, I know. Future-proofing is near impossible with technology. I was talking about future-proofing for the next 3 months or so until it's old technology.
:lol:

Super Velcroboy, I hope mine lasts a good while. I try to take really good care of my electronic stuff, so it should last...

I just finished getting my music library transferred onto it...Definitely not fun to do twice in one week.
:lol:
Now I'm going to get Ableton installed and rock a Rhodes model for a while.

your using it for audio yeh? i hope you can turn off speedstepping! my {censored}ing bios wont let me and its causing BIG issues. im getting toshiba to write me a bios as we speak. i cant believe they agreed to :eek:

• Members
your using it for audio yeh? i hope you can turn off speedstepping! my {censored}ing bios wont let me and its causing BIG issues. im getting toshiba to write me a bios as we speak. i cant believe they agreed to
:eek:

Yep. Audio/gaming/internet/Music.

I haven't had any trouble at all with it yet - nor with the other one aside from the pixel getting stuck.

What's speedstepping?

• Members

Yep. Audio/gaming/internet/Music.

I haven't had any trouble at all with it yet - nor with the other one aside from the pixel getting stuck.

What's speedstepping?

makes your processor run as low as possible to save battery power. {censored}s things up with some audio apps. you can usually turn it off

• Members

makes your processor run as low as possible to save battery power. {censored}s things up with some audio apps. you can
usually
turn it off

Oh - I just use the high performance power setting. I believe that turns it off. I still get ~3 and a half hours of battery time too.

Did you end up getting that Toshiba you linked a while back?

• Members
:facepalm:
the trackpad is off centered.... I could never work in one of those!

:rolleyes:
it may sound as a joke but I afraid its true!

I actually like it off-centered like that. It makes it easier to type without brushing over it. :idk:

I got Ableton installed last night...

Any other recommendations for music programs? I already have Reaper on it as well...

• Members

Apple may be higher priced, but IMO they are not raping you with the Macbook, the Macbook Air though is insane. I went apple a few years ago and will never go back, started with an iMac and just got a Macbook, best computers for my needs.

BTW Macbooks and iMacs are not that much more than their PC counterparts, for what you get.
Firewire ,Wireless N, bluetooth all come standard, plus the new Macbook is 2.4ghz Core2duo.

• Members
I'm surprised they changed it for 1 stuck pixel because it seems, at least in the UK, with the PSP that you need to have so many stuck pixels before they'll change it. Maybe laptops are different.....

I got lucky here - Although they couldn't do anything about the stuck pixel, they COULD still return it, as I was within the 14 day satisfaction guarantee or something. Since it technically was defective (although not defective enough to warrant a repair), they waved the restocking fee.

I :love: loopholes.

As for Macbooks not being that bad for price, I thought the cheapest macbook at $1100 had a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM, and some super-tiny hard drive? I know the $1400 ones have better specs, but I only looked at the $1100 one seriously. I know a lot of the price is form-factor. They're 13.3" laptops with the apple logo.

And yes - the Macbook air is insane. Aside from having awful specs, they get even worse when it's on. The 1.6GHz processor can actually sink down to around 1.2GHz to avoid overheating the laptop because of how thin it is. :rolleyes: For $1600, I'd rather buy something that isn't flimsy, and that won't burn my frank and beans off. :freak:

Archived