Comparison Video: Fulltone OCD, MI Audio Crunch Box, Barber Direct Drive by PGS

• Members
Freakin' loved it!

EDIT: And I'm glad I own an OCD, now more than ever... those others sound like HONK compared to the OCD.

Just my opinion. Thanks for the comparison!!

Nah, I have a Direct Drive and OCD and they're both great, although very different. Crunch Box sounded damn good also. Great job on the demo PGS :thu:

• Members

I thought they all sounded good, and certainly none of them sounded honk to me. That pretty much matches up with what I have found from the OCD and Crunchbox. The OCD is less compressed and cleans up better, the CB is higher gain where the additional compression is useful. Neither is an outright "better pedal" in all areas and they're diverse enough to keep both.

• Members

Great video, man! Quality as always.

Shows that if you want a high gain box that cleans up, the only one is the direct drive. But honestly, it sounded the most "polite" of the three, that's probably why.

IMO, the OCD and Crunchbox were both very great sounding and easily on-par with one another.

• Members

Barber = HONK, this is why blooz playas love them, along with all things BJF and da Zen Drive :cop:

I actually wish they'd stop making these vids so I can laugh at all the rockers that listen to bloosmen supa-hype on TGP...freakin' hilarious to watch the epic FAILZ! ;)

• Members

Great video, man! Quality as always.

Shows that if you want a high gain box that cleans up, the only one is the direct drive. But honestly, it sounded the most "polite" of the three, that's probably why.

IMO, the OCD and Crunchbox were both very great sounding and easily on-par with one another.

I'm with you. I'm so glad PGS started doing comparison videos. Their sound quality is just so much better than just about everyone else on the net, imho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've owned all three of these at one time or another.....I still can't decide which I like better. I've been using the Direct Drive with a deluxe reverb lately because I like the mids and compression it adds for lead work. It seems to be a little more forgiving than the other two. But the OCD has such a beautiful rythm tone that you would swear is not coming from a pedal. And of course, the crunch box is the sound of all my favorite bands growing up but doesn't clean up as well. But with the sound that good, why would you want it to. But to be honest with you, having used all of these, I could go with either one.

The ProGuitar Shop vid pretty much nails what these can do better than other videos I've seen! Excellent work as always from Pro Guitar Shop.

• Members

Great to see these comparison videos. More please. I also like the Jack Black ones-not as professional, but entertaining, and he tells you what he thinks of them. Check those out if you haven't-I think it's guitarmandude on youtube.

Archived