NPD! (warning: shoegaze content herein)

onyxrhino

• Members

Oh nice, you got one from the newest batch. Congrats! I plan on ordering a fingerprint any day now, but I'm waiting on the next batch of enclosures to see if I like the aesthetics of those more. I've been pestering Matt with emails almost every day hah.

Also, in the penny pedals main forum, theres a soundclip request thread. In this thread, Matt posts a clip using the lowfuzz and finerprint separately, then stacked. This would sound similar to a boost into the fingerprint I'm assuming, albeit, a fuzzy boost.

• Members

Yeah, I saw where he said that those were going to be out in the future. I read that after I had ordered mine, or I might have waited to pick one of those up (I love dual switch pedals). Apparently the second switch engages a booster. I'm interested in hearing how a booster sounds with the Fingerprint. Mine came with "instructions" that suggest trying a booster in front of it.

I thought the second switch would max out the gain/texture for octave goodness...I run mine after a SHO and it sounds pretty good. It sounds insane though when it gets pushed by a Liquid Sunshine :love: Not good pushed/pushing a Mayo though :facepalm:

• Members

I thought the second switch would max out the gain/texture for octave goodness...

hmmm. now that you mention it, you may be right. I can't remember for certain. I thought there was a mention of a boost function, but maybe I'm mistaken.

• Members

whoa! what a great thread to wake up to!

onyxrhino you really nailed the sound in your descriptions, thanks for the really in depth review. it's not the 'ultimate' shoegaze distortion (there is no such thing, in a pedal anyway) but it's geared more towards the player who wants that hazy, thick distortion but still needs clarity and note definition... with some bonus synthy octave stuff thrown in if ya want.

the second channel on the new design will simply max out the gain knob, really good for live use. it addresses a problem some folks had, where they liked a few different sounds but didn't want to fiddle with knobs on stage. this will let you have a medium gain rhythm tone and footswitch in a higher gain 2nd setting of sorts. if you have the texture control up high enough, you can use the same switch as an on/off for the octave too.

• Members

whoa! what a great thread to wake up to!

onyxrhino you really nailed the sound in your descriptions, thanks for the really in depth review. it's not the 'ultimate' shoegaze distortion (there is no such thing, in a pedal anyway) but it's geared more towards the player who wants that hazy, thick distortion but still needs clarity and note definition... with some bonus synthy octave stuff thrown in if ya want.

the second channel on the new design will simply max out the gain knob, really good for live use. it addresses a problem some folks had, where they liked a few different sounds but didn't want to fiddle with knobs on stage. this will let you have a medium gain rhythm tone and footswitch in a higher gain 2nd setting of sorts. if you have the texture control up high enough, you can use the same switch as an on/off for the octave too.

cool, thanks! A second switch is a really good idea. I like the clanging, ring mod-ish sound you get with the texture knob up all the way. It doesn't really fit my playing style, so I can't see actually using it, save maybe for the odd fill here and there. It would be cool though to have that sound footswitch accessible, so you could switch between the regular distortion for rhythm playing and the textured octave for the occasional accent.

• Members

Matt,

I just e-mailed you about being put on the list for a Fingerprint and was wondering if you could let me know when the 2 switch version would be available.

OH, and does the FP have a tendency to be too 'trebly' like the Fuzz Factory?

• Members

OH, and does the FP have a tendency to be too 'trebly' like the Fuzz Factory?

I've played a Fuzz Factory and I'd have to say that the Fingerprint doesn't get nearly as harsh and squealy. It is more trebly than your average fuzz IMO, but not to the degree of a Fuzz Factory.

Archived