Devi Ever Pedals

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lots of users around here, myself included.

Awesome pedals. And they all sound different. ;)

Devi basically makes every type of fuzz you can imagine. Like a brewry with tons of different choices, from subtle octave fuzz to huge octave, to glitchy fuzz, to metal fuzz, and some boosts and other flavors in there.

You can see some demo vids I've done of Devi Ever pedals here.

• Members

I've owned several. None of them worked out for me in the end and I flipped them, but I can tell you that I would buy more from Devi, who is super nice and does a good job answering questions. Every pedal of hers I've had was of high quality. That said, most of them are on the crazy side of fuzz. They're hard to use with complex chords, and I haven't used any that I would call "smooth", but for a wild, slightly atonal, noisy sound - more Sonic Youth than MBV, they're darn near perfect. Also, having sold mine, I can attest that they hold their value as well as just about any pedals out there that aren't Skreddy or Klon.

• Members

Devi & her pedals are AWESOME, and I think even if DE/E13 doesn't fit your playing style or tastes, you can probably agree that Devi injected the community with a really cool energy & a sort of creativity that I think has greatly influenced the newest crop of DIY & boutique builders.

My Spectacular SM is one of my favorite fuzz boxes of all time. Would love to own many more DE/E13 pedals.

• Members

I own two at the moment: a sodameiser and a recently acquired Electric brown.

The sodameiser is a peculiar one in my collection. At first I was slightly let down by the pedal, but I've really grown to love it (great for white stripes and the like). I actually traded it away at one point when I was less than enamored with the pedal and it found its way back to me when the object I traded for never arrived (very honest people over at the devi forums :thu: )

The electric brown I'm still deciding whether or not I should keep. It's a hard to describe pedal, but it sounds great for single notes and power chords (just not very complex chords), this one's actually an OD, not a fuzz.

I'm in the market for a new one too, an 05/25.

I like this company quite a bit, and the forum over at deviever.com/fx/forum is a cool one.

Oh, and I like Devi, she's good people.

• Members

Soda Meiser gets a ton of love, but the Truly Beautiful Disaster is probably the E13 flagship pedal, now made by Ooh La La. Current Devi lineup doesn't seem to have the same kind of 'flagship', but lots of good stand-out pedals.

• Members

are there any particular pedals that stand out as 'flagships' of the devi brand? Like the fuzz factory is for zvex, sort of?

Well, the original flagships (Torn's Peaker, Soda Meiser, Truly Beautiful Disaster, etc) were sold to Ooh La La.

Some of those circuits, or variations of them, still exist in Devi Ever pedals.

But, I'd say...current flagships:

Aenima / Spectacular Aenima

The Bit

The joystick-controlled ones.

And the US is gaining in popularity...

Some others (Dark Boost, Silver Crank, Punch Love) have all been around for quite a while, if I'm not mistaken.

• Members

I love me some Devi Ever! When I got my first one the Vintage Fuzz Master, I couldnt believe what I was hearing! A massive sound that was dead quiet when muted! Many of her pedals are gated but can still sustain, which is a quality that has me sticking close by! I can now write choppy rhythms that give my strumming hand new tasks. It breathed new life into guitar playing for me and now I'm fully addicted to this new sound!

I recently got my hands on an Aenima which is not gated. In fact, it has the ability to blow your head off when your not playing. However, this can be harnessed. Different control knob settings allow different feedbacks to yell through. Being that the pedals have unique attributes, I noticed that the Aenima has a scream in which the pitch can be moved with the guitar volume when it is the only effect in the chain. Strange yet beautiful!

My favorite is the Hyperion! It's the first one on my country western board - check the "current pedalboard" thread!

• Members

I think Devi really brought something different to the table. I think new pedals have come along to replace the original line's flagships that have moved on to Ooh Lah Lah... definitely the joystick pedals and the PEEP. The Hyperion is getting a lot of love lately, and the Aenima seems to be pretty popular as well.

This applies more to the older line than the current line, but Devi's pedals have always been among my favorite, cosmetically speaking.

I'd say try them out... they seem hold value pretty well, probably on account of the low production numbers, and they can be had fairly cheaply (for the smaller ones).

I'm not a "Devi can do no wrong" fanboy--there are some pedals I have no interest in--but I think as a whole, they're worth looking into. I have a Hyperion and a VFM Smooth (Soda Meiser circuit), and while they're similar (based on the same basic circuit, I think), they offer enough sonic differences for me to keep both for now.

I used to have a Never Drive that was cool but a little too harsh for solo bedroom playing. It was great for recording, though. I'd add that word of caution as well... I think some Devi Evers are better than others for standalone useage.

I'd recommend the Hyperion for someone who isn't quite sure about jumping into Devi's pedals since I almost think of it as a Devi "lite" pedal. It has a crackly sputtery decay when the texture knob is turned way down, and has hints of scrambling when the texture is turned way up, but sounds fairly normal at moderate settings, kind of like a less-bassy Muff with more... texture.

Here's mine:

IMG_5127.JPG

• Members

I love me some Devi Ever! When I got my first one the Vintage Fuzz Master, I couldnt believe what I was hearing! A massive sound that was dead quiet when muted! Many of her pedals are gated but can still sustain, which is a quality that has me sticking close by! I can now write choppy rhythms that give my strumming hand new tasks. It breathed new life into guitar playing for me and now I'm fully addicted to this new sound!...

...agreed, the Vintage Fuzz Master (mine has the toggle switch, does yours?) is a tremendous box, simply great, I love mine...& this is from a guy who also owns (& also loves, btw) both a Malekko B:ASSMASTER & Retroman Hi Octone... :thu:

• Members

I do not own any, of Devi's works but I can support form being here over a year, he has an excellent reputation. I am considering getting something from him as I am a dirt addict. Probably something on the freaky side. The clips of his stuff are way out unique. He must be some sort of creative evil genius.

• Members

He's a woman, man!

:facepalm:

• Members

I've got a 33 Short Decay fuzz.

It does exactly what the name says. It's a trebley high gain fuzz box that has a very short attack with little sustain. By itself, it's a novelty with most people, but with other pedals it's {censored}ing excellent mixer with some OD/Dirt.

• Members

Ah; I remember when Tim (as s/he was called in those days) presented the first pedal. It was literally a transitor in a box. A bunch of the experienced electronics guys designed Devi a simple fuzz, and now the pedals are everywhere.

The only experience I have of Devi's output was a TBD. I thought it was broken - only worked at all with the volume on full, and the insides were disastrous. Unsecured PCB with traces hand-cut and components missing. Soldering that looked like an army of metal slugs attacking a street map.

I really hope things have improved since, but the various comments about gating, spluttering and unsuitability for chords suggest that they're still just misbiased fuzzes. Still, props for building a successful business on a total lack of understanding of the subject matter. :D

Archived