Mike McCready & John Frusciante

fuzzface71

• Members

When I was just starting to play guitar seriously in the early 90's. Both guys are my favorite guitar players around at the time, and they were also close to my age.

And also, I guess maybe because both guitar players, were both playing Hendrix inspired licks?

So different, but yet so similar to me. This thread is a tribute to both.

2117451173_45bfa4b7ff.jpg

fru1.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

mccready gets the win for me. mad season anyone?

i haven't really liked anything frusciante has done in the past few years. i loved loved loved blood sugar but, since then......? a little meh if you ask me.

go watch the man live he lets himself go much more than in the studio

• Members

Great thread & great to make the connection between the two as it's a very solid one. Both big influences for me as well. Scales tip heavily to John F. for me through based on his insanely underrated solo output. For me, a lot of his solo stuff is even better than RHCP, and I'm a big RHCP fan. Frusciante seems to really understand texture, or at least he understands it in a way that is really meaningful for me. Takes him from being one of the best 90's rock guitarists to one of my all-time favorites which would NOT be the case based just on his RCHP work, awesome though it may be.

• Members

go watch the man live he lets himself go much more than in the studio

i have.

saw him on the californication tour. good but, not great. it seems he's fogotten his hendrixy roots to a certain degree. i'm not saying he can't change but, i think he was better before.

• Members

Listening to John Frusciante is pretty much what made me pick up a guitar in the first place, he's one my favorites, but I can't deny McCready's playing and tone (eventhough I'm not a PJ fan), but a big thumbs up for both of them

• Members

Word. I've got major respect for these two, for the exact same reason that they were what I was into when I was starting out in the early 90's. They're still doing it, and they still kick ass. :thu:

• Members

Ha, that's funny since those were two of my favorite guitarist when I started playing guitar also. When I was 16 I was like, "If I could only be as good as Mike McCready". Now that I've pretty much reached that goal, I'm like "If I could only play like Grant Green".

• Members

mccready is definitely "technically" the better player imo. they're neck in neck to me though and i definitely like and respect both. having said that fru can get slightly annoying with the funk stuff (and that might be anthony's fault...) and mike has a tendency to overplay a bit live. I've seen both live and would have to say that fru might win the tone contest but i think mike gets him tone wise on albums. great players and writers both of them.

• Members

Scales tip heavily to John F. for me through based on his insanely underrated solo output. For me, a lot of his solo stuff is even better than RHCP, and I'm a big RHCP fan.

I couldn't agree more. The will to death and shadows collide are two of my all time favourite records.

are there any ataxia fans here? another great frusciante project.

• Members

mccready gets the win for me. mad season anyone?

i haven't really liked anything frusciante has done in the past few years. i loved loved loved blood sugar but, since then......? a little meh if you ask me.

++++++++++++

Archived