Just picked up a Boss VB-2...

• Members

So, recently I have been on this "tone quest" to supplement my Boss GT-10 for home recording. I've decided that I need some analog dirt to give the GT-10 some character- I've acquired a Fostex Spring reverb unit as well to go "after" the GT-10 because I heart stereo spring reverb and I will NEVER have my tubeworks stereo spring reverb back again :cry:

Anyway- in my wild spree I picked up a Boss VB-2 "just because" I HAVE to try everything and honestly...it really does sound quite amazing. AT high settings it's about useless, but in subtle settings it is just warm, buttery, and hypnotic- more than my univibes (I have both Dunlops right now) it imparts a buttery gloss to the tone like an FA-1- what is the deal with that?

And it almost sounds like chorus without chorus- shimmery and strange.

Am I just startstruck by this thing because it is rare and mine looks like brand new? Or is this thing really the shiznit? It's like my Boss FA-1, I just HAD to try one- and it is a seriously nice sounding little box....Anyone else using the VB-2? Compared it to the Behringer? Am I imagining things- Cause now I don't want to sell either the FA-1 or the VB-2...

• Members

Also with the GT10 you could run two vibratos at once. And tap sync them to different subdivisions.

I owned the behringer vibrato, and if it's anything like the vb-2, the vb-2 just isnt that good a vibrato. My line6 space chorus and my gt-8 have immense vibratos with low speeds and deep sine waves. Did not get that with the behringer.

• Members

I owned the behringer vibrato, and if it's anything like the vb-2, the vb-2 just isnt that good a vibrato. My line6 space chorus and my gt-8 have immense vibratos with low speeds and deep sine waves. Did not get that with the behringer.

c'mon now.....

I played the VB-2 and a few boutique vibe/chorus... and I cant say nothing comes close to VB-2....seriously!

one day I shall be able to get one on the cheap!

• Members

It wasn't cheap-but I've been known to spend a bunch of money to try things out and then just sell them again. In a way it kind of cures the curiousity and GAS, but you don't have to have the investment. FOr example, once I bought a Pete Cornish SS-2 from Ebay for about $600. I played with it for about a month and then I sent it to Dave Fox because he was also curious about it- but often people don't want to spend the money for fear they can't unload it. Dave sent me a ZIM to play with while he played with the SS-2. :thu: Then I sold the SS-2 and returned the ZIM to Dave. Dave shipped the SS-2 to my buyer. I ended up being out about $20 when all was said and done in postage and Ebay fees- and I got to experiement with two great pedals and interact with one of the great designers on this board, giving him the opportunity to experiment as well.

The result? The SS-2 was truly different than anything I've heard- but not in some "slap you in the face way" it was subtle and beautiful- but not in my budget. I remember Dave was a little "underwhelemed" in some ways, but agreed that it was something quite unique (If memory serves-)

So that's what I do sometimes...but with this one....I might not want to let it go :(

• Members

c'mon now.....

I played the VB-2 and a few boutique vibe/chorus... and I cant say nothing comes close to VB-2....seriously!

one day I shall be able to get one on the cheap!

[YOUTUBE]sbBogXqRZso[/YOUTUBE]

Have you heard the space chorus? It's lovely. There's three different types of vibrato on there too .

• Members

Have you heard the space chorus? It's lovely. There's three different types of vibrato on there too .

ACtually my fave chorus was probably the EHX stereo polychorus or the BOss DC-2. I also liked the OLD Boss CE-5... But everything on that clip sounded really "thin" to me. And I didn't quite hear the VB-2 in that demo...:wave:

Archived