Live Amplification and Signal Chain for Acoustic

• Members

The frontman in my band plays both a Martin HD-28 and a Gibson J-30 as his main insrument (we're an acoustic rock outfit). Unfortunately, his guitar often sounds tinny through the PA, despite using a Para Acoustic DI in combination with his B-Band UST.

We've been wondering how other acoustic guitars are being run in band situations. We were thinking that something like a nice compressor (Keeley, Analogman), and a good reverb pedal, as well as the EQ on the PADI would help his sound a lot.

Just looking for suggestions. What do the other "band" acoustic players run their signal through to maximize the sound quality?

-Rick

• Members

I would BOO on the chorus/reverb.

An acoustic is about clarity, and that just adds mud.

I run a BBE Acoustimax straight into the board for small gigs. For large gigs, I run a Presonus Blue Tube Compressor, Presonus Acousti-Q Tube Preamp, and Avalog U5 all in a rack. It's the nicest acoustic tone I've ever had in my life.

• Members

RKBassGuyNJ - I just checked out your myspace page. Looks like we live close! I'm in Madison, NJ right next to Morristown.

My cover band Big Bad Irish is actually playing the Dublin Pub next Friday in Motown. It'll be our first time there - you ever play that room? It's small! I hope we don't blow the place out...

Archived