analog and digital pedals

crsmerritt

• Members

I'm 99 percent sure someone has asked this, but I can't find a way to search all of the threads and find it.

How safe is it to run digital and analog effects pedals? Are there some rules.

Also, do you wah your dry signal or can you set the wah anywhere in the loop?

• Members

Follow typical placement guidelines based on effect types and you'll be A-Ok.

I'm gonna drop my opinion in this thread, something thats always botherd me in "suggest me" threads. btw nothing personal Crxshdxmmy ;) this is aimed at the entire board as a whole.

thoguh I agree some pedal placements can be optimal, I disagree with the statement that you won't be fine unless you follow the typical standard. this is something most people here reccomends and I always feel tempted to butt-in! yeah there are "typical placements" if you want to sound exactly like the stars, but who says you can't run reverb or delay before distortion? it doesnt always sound right but whats right and what isn't right should be up to your ears! the beauty of stompboxes is that theyre modular, you can try anything! so I say instead of hopping o na forum right away before you even buy a pedal to ask what typical placement is, try everything! remember what the "common" placement is, but try stuff! depending on your musical tastes you might even like it! invent a little!

a lot of new effect users arent at all comfortable with pedals and will take our word for it if we say "so-and-so pedal can ONLY be placed right after this other one", thinking it might break or wont work at all if they don't. I say take note, but experement a little.

minor rant over :cool:

• Members

crxsh is a cool dude i think, he's just into the typical stuff. he buys all these pedals but doesn't keep them long enough to try them out with different pedals. 99% of my sound is pedals interacting with eachother.. it's all about combinations and finding new sounds for me, but for a lot of people it's just about finding the right tone

btw cloudscape i'm gonna pm you

• Members

Also, do you wah your dry signal or can you set the wah anywhere in the loop?

Experiment to see what sounds best for you. Tom Morello used to place his wah in his amp's FX loop, which is fairly unorthodox. Let your ears be your guide - there no "wrong" way to set up pedals.

• Members

I'm gonna drop my opinion in this thread, something thats always botherd me in "suggest me" threads. btw nothing personal Crxshdxmmy
;)
this is aimed at the entire board as a whole.

thoguh I agree some pedal placements can be optimal, I disagree with the statement that you
won't
be fine unless you follow the typical standard. this is something most people here reccomends and I always feel tempted to butt-in! yeah there are "typical placements" if you want to sound exactly like the stars, but who says you can't run reverb or delay before distortion? it doesnt always sound right but whats right and what isn't right should be up to
your
ears! the beauty of stompboxes is that theyre modular, you can try anything! so I say instead of hopping o na forum right away before you even buy a pedal to ask what typical placement is, try everything! remember what the "common" placement is, but try stuff! depending on your musical tastes you might even like it! invent a little!

a lot of new effect users arent at all comfortable with pedals and will take our word for it if we say "so-and-so pedal can ONLY be placed right after this other one", thinking it might break or wont work at all if they don't. I say take note, but experement a little.

minor rant over
:cool:

You were clearly just looking to bitch. I think Crxsh was just saying "its ok dewd!" with a few more words.

:facepalm:

• Members

well respectfully, you're wrong/you misunderstood my post. I explained my reasons. I also stated it wasnt a personal attack on anyone and I feel I worded it carefully enough. maybe I should emphasise it a little more?

I just think "you should do this" replies should come with a little disclaimer saying "but you can also experement" with pedal order.

that said, it is a minor rant

• Members

This is all great and all but what I am really looking for is an answer about analog and digital. I understand the differences between analog and digital but if I were to run a deluxe memory man through a boss reverb or space echo would it ruin things?

• Members

This is all great and all but what I am really looking for is an answer about analog and digital. I understand the differences between analog and digital but if I were to run a deluxe memory man through a boss reverb or space echo would it ruin things?

have you checked out our "post your current pedalboard" thread?

if you can find more than a handful of boards that dont have anlog and digital pedals running together i will be impressed.keep in mind it has 13.7 billion posts which is also the approximate age of the earth in years

• Members

have you checked out our "post your current pedalboard" thread?

if you can find more than a handful of boards that dont have anlog and digital pedals running together i will be impressed.keep in mind it has 13.7 billion posts which is also the approximate age of the earth in years

Haha, now we are getting somewhere. Thanks for the directions. It just seems like analog and digital would clash in a nasty way. I guess I'll pick my first pedal whether it be analog or digital and just experiment from there.

• Members

I general you shouldn't have too many problems.

The worst would be a huge impedence mismatch btwn a high-Z output digital

which light have problems driving a low-X input analog... but that's not really avoidable if you like both of the pedals. You just have to deal with the odd tonez.

Actually, I find the high-freq noise of digi-after-digi to be very annoying.

It all their clocks bleeding thru poorly designed grounds...drek really,

but that's what we get in our digital age.

• Members

I general you shouldn't have too many problems.

The worst would be a huge impedence mismatch btwn a high-Z output digital

which light have problems driving a low-X input analog... but that's not really avoidable if you like both of the pedals. You just have to deal with the odd tonez.

Actually, I find the high-freq noise of digi-after-digi to be very annoying.

It all their clocks bleeding thru poorly designed grounds...drek really,

but that's what we get in our digital age.

tick tock tick tock

{censored} you digital age!

• Members

tick tock tick tock

{censored} you digital age!

of 60+ pedals in my room, I think there are 5 or 6 digitals.

(notes BBD's dont count in this, uh, count)

I've been playing with some vintage distorto-phase tonight and

it is glorious. I love the way fuzxz bites the edge of a phaser.

Archived