OT:Weezer could have been the new Beatles

• Members

I was listening to Pinkerton in the car with my mom and I realized how similar it was to the very early Beatles' records; Albums like "Beatles for Sale" and "Meet the Beatles."

Poppy songs about imaginary girls. Even the topics were somewhat more modernized (Pink Triangle; falling in love with a lesbian). The hooks with these songs were what made them bearable to listen to. It was still ROCK but without the {censored} instrumentation to go along with the emotional lyrics.

Anyone see where I'm coming from? It's too bad that maladroit had to blow so bad.

If the follow up record to pinkerton had been something more evolutionary, do you think they could have been a modern day Beatles?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was listening to Pinkerton in the car with my mom and I realized how similar it was to the very early Beatles' records; Albums like "Beatles for Sale" and "Meet the Beatles."

Poppy songs about imaginary girls. Even the topics were somewhat more modernized (Pink Triangle; falling in love with a lesbian). The hooks with these songs were what made them bearable to listen to. It was still ROCK but without the {censored} instrumentation to go along with the emotional lyrics.

Anyone see where I'm coming from? It's too bad that maladroit had to blow so bad.

If the follow up record to pinkerton had been something more evolutionary, do you think they could have been a modern day Beatles?

Put simply...no.

• Members

I was listening to the Blue Album and Pinkerton yesterday and I was kinda taken aback by just how hard they rocked. I had forgotten. If ROTR (which I also love as an album) had never happened and the original Weezer lineup had remained intact ... well, they were headed in the right direction. Would have been fun to watch.

• Members

Yeah, Pinkerton was a fabulous album. Really underappreciated. They pioneered the whole geek chic kind of thing. Rivers was also a total closet case, unfortunately. But I see your point.

Their music did go pretty downhill as of late, which sucks.

• Members

Pinkerton is amazing. Blue is a great listen as well. And even though I'll get hated on for saying this, i kinda like the green album. But since then they have produced crap. Its a shame. There's about 1 or 2 songs on maladroit that are listenable, but make believe and red are just utter crap (sans 1 song from each). I can

• Members

Keep in mind the Beatles had 3 great songwriters and one mediocre one.

Weezer has 1 great/mediocre songwriter. Whether the other members (aside from Matt Sharp) have really contributed is unknown to me.

As far as I know/have heard the answer is "no." But I think Matt Sharp contributed a lot judging by his Rentals output.

• Members

As far as I know/have heard the answer is "no." But I think Matt Sharp contributed a lot judging by his Rentals output.

Matt Sharp also filed a lawsuit against Weezer for writing credits and royalty moeny he wasn't making from it. He later "settled it out of court" but I don't know what went down. I would assume that he had a hefty party in the writing, just judging from Weezer never having amazing albums after he left (although they still have had some really great "songs").

• Members

Nah. But Weezer were incredible. They lost it with Maladroit. I mean; Green Album was to get them back in the limelight but after that they dropped the ball. I'm really surprised they are still together after all this time.

• Members

I don't understand all the Maladroit hate. There are some really great songs on that album (Slave, Slob, Space Rock, Burndt Jam, December, etc.)

Agreed. It's no weaker than the Green Album or Make Belive.

Red album doesn't count btw, just a mess a music thrown together with Weezer written on it.

Archived