I need help. Vox Wah True bypass mod...sigh

joelbah

• Members

Ok so I did my first pedal mod ever today. I was trying to mod my Vox V847 wah to make it true bypass. I used the carling DPDT switch that was recommended on the fulltone website. sorry I don't have a camera so I can't take any pictures, but here is the schematic that I followed from the fulltone website:

http://www.fulltone.com/v847.html

and here are the text directions:

http://www.fulltone.com/V847copy.html

I am 95% sure that I wired it correctly, but when I finished, I plugged it up and I had SERIOUS volume loss. The bypass signal and the wah signal where probably a tenth of the volume that they should have been. The pedal worked, but the volume drop was just ridiculous. Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible that the switch I used was..."upside down" meaning I connected 1, 2 and 3 where I should have connected 4, 5 and 6? Would this cause such serious volume drop?

2) For connecting poles 4 and 3 (step 4) I used a pretty heavy gauge speaker wire. I didn't feel good about it, but it's all the spare wire I could find. Could this hefty wire be causing the insane volume drop?

3) For connecting output jack tip (hot) to pole 5 (step 5), I used a really thin wire that I got from a cheap pair of headphones. Could this be my problem?

Those are the only things that I think I could have messed up on. I have a feeling that I am going to feel really dumb when I find out what I did wrong.

thanks for the help, I REALLY need/appreciate it.

• Members

I would start with replacing the thin wire if that's the signal wire. Then I'd double check to see if you loosened something else that has nothing to do with the switch.

As far as the switch being upside down, I have no idea. I don't know if the pegs are wired symmetrically or not.

• Members

I would start with replacing the thin wire if that's the signal wire. Then I'd double check to see if you loosened something else that has nothing to do with the switch.

As far as the switch being upside down, I have no idea. I don't know if the pegs are wired symmetrically or not.

Ok cool, yeah, I'll check the thin wire when I get home. I guess it makes sense that the input wire needs to be a good solid wire. I guess I should pick up some decent wire on the way home.

Any other ideas?

• Members

sorry I should have posted this a while ago to update everyone. I replaced the thin crappy headphone wire, and now it works perfectly and sounds great. Thanks to everyone for the input! This was a pretty simple mod, and now I feel like I might want to look into other mods of my pedals. This could get addicting.

I think the other main culprit of my tone sucking problem might be my EB volume pedal. Anyone know of any simple mods to help with that?

Archived