NPD!!!! (Long Superdelay & Valcoder Content)

Crxsh

• Members

Check it --

n161501268_31260302_7597.jpg

I've been holding off on this since Friday because I wanted to do a little review on this --- so here goes:

The Superdelay is everything it's cracked up to be. Honestly, and I know a lot of you will laugh because I've been such a gear whore ... but this is going to stick. I said it with the Box of Rock; I'm saying it with this. I mean, seriously -- this pedal will change your life. I've had it since late Friday and it's been nothing but :rawk: since. It's easy to use, it sounds brilliant, it's got features that nothing else has -- you can't go wrong here.

Sure it's expensive, but IMO -- well worth it.

The normal delay mode is basic. Sounds about 80x better than any Boss I've ever played and w/ the modulation & filtering options, you can get a VAST range of sounds out of it. Last night I actually discovered a weird drone type thing. Not what I usually play, but it's now preset #6. :lol:

The tap delay mode is great too. Same as the normal mode -- only with tap possibilities. (In normal delay, hitting the tap tempo button cuts the repeats.)

The auto tempo delay works. I know that much. That's probably the setting I've used least so far... so I can investigate more if someone's interested, but it seems like that'd be real handy for live riffing.

The reverse stuff is killer. Now, I've never really used reverse delay much ... so I kinda suck at it, but I mean, 100% wet and tons of cool features w/ the filters & modulation. And Reverse submode 'C' is just as cool as it looks. SUPER trippy man. I've got it in the preset w/ just a little dry signal .... just amazing.

The rhythm delay is cool too. I've used it just a bit and I'll get more into it later I'm sure, but I've been stuck in reverse, tape & tap modes right now. It's a real cool feature, and is one of the things that sold me on the Superdelay... so I'm excited to try it out more later on.

The Tape mode is stellar. Mind you, I've never used a real tape delay .... but it's pretty analog-ish (especially w/ the LP filter). I like it a lot .... probably my favorite standard delay sound in this thing right now. Plus, you can use tap tempo with it -- so it's money!!

The Misc. stuff has been pretty neglected so far as well. I tried it out a little, but I'd have to read the manual to remember what's going on in there. Check the YouTube vid if you're curious.

The looper is cool. Just as good (though not as long) as a DD-20 or DL4. Plus, unlike the DD-7 ... you can stop the loop completely and then restart it w/out losing it. That's pretty sweet. Plus, you can do forward & reverse loops together with submodes B & C. Pretty sweet ..... not sure how much use it'll get w/ the RC-2 around, but it's there if I need it.

--

n161501268_31260301_7259.jpg

This is a sweet pedal too. Sounds just like how I had my Semaphore set up .... and it's simple as can be and sounds great doing it. I'm getting a little bleed (clock noise) w/out a buffer in front of it however, but Nic says this shouldn't be happening, so I'm sure we'll work out some kind of fix.

It does the choppy stuff .... and it does subtle trem too!! (Surprise!)

Here's a YouTube vid I just uploaded:

[YOUTUBE]C3D4NVzbJ64[/YOUTUBE]

--

New Board Pic:

n161501268_31260300_7627.jpg

Much more open than my last one ..... but that's fine. I'm diggin' it.

(I moved the RC-2 to the top of my amp -- I always use my hands to control it and it never leaves the house, so why have it on the board??

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How bright can the Empress get? Do the filter options offer a good range of different tones? I had a Keeley AD9 that I hated because it sounded so muddy. Digital delays on a couple of cheap rack units have done me good so far but a good delay stompbox is something I want.

• Members

Looks cool. You've been through a ton of delays, glad you found one you like. I'm still undecided about my second delay, and whether I keep the SMMH or step up to something in a different price league. I assume this one is digital (which I almost prefer, since I have analog with the CC). How much do these run then? I don't mind paying a lot if it's really high quality. The valcoder looks cool too, one I've been thinking about lately because if its size.

• Members

GASing for a Super Delay.
:cry:

Who sells this Super delay, and cost?

PS, I liked your video of the Valcoder a lot Crxxsh, sounded quite good too. I gave you {censored} before, but this one had good tone to it.

• Members

i think thats being generous. that hollowbody only lasted a week
:lol:

:lol:x2

That's actually not for sale anymore -- and besides that, I was just seeing if I could get some feelers. I was only thinking about selling some stuff I didn't need to see if we could get some more moolah for a down payment. Come to find out though, I probably won't need to sell anything after all. We crunched the numbers and we'll probably be fine.

• Members

Who sells this Super delay, and cost?

PS, I liked your video of the Valcoder a lot Crxxsh, sounded quite good too. I gave you {censored} before, but this one had good tone to it.

I bought it from Tonefactor. $450 w/ free shipping.

And thanks for the nice comment man ..... I think the biggest factor is that I didn't compress the video before uploading it to YouTube. I compressed a few of my longer videos so that upload times wouldn't be horrendous. Plus, I replaced the speakers in that Marshall cab w/ some broken-in Vintage 30's that I had in this 4x12 I'm not using. They're mid-90's UK 30's and sound amazing. The stock speakers were REALLY bright and didn't record well, but these 30's have a lot more midrange and low-end ...... all that to say -- I was pretty happy with how this one came out too. Still suffers from the typical YouTube damage .... but it's alright considering I wasn't using a 65 Soho. :poke: :lol:

• Members

{censored} is still hitting the fan in the states man. wait till the market bottoms out more.

Yeah... we're not in any big rush. Our apartment lease isn't up until October ... and we can already get something close to 5.85 fixed .... so that's pretty good. We'll see what happens -- we looked at a place tonight we really liked, but we're taking it as slow as possible.

• Members

How bright can the Empress get? Do the filter options offer a good range of different tones? I had a Keeley AD9 that I hated because it sounded so muddy. Digital delays on a couple of cheap rack units have done me good so far but a good delay stompbox is something I want.

It's noticeably brighter than the DMM I'd say. I mean, the difference between normal and HP is noticeable (same w/ LP), and I'd say it gets pretty bright. I thought the Carbon Copy was a little muddy personally and much preferred the DMM ... but this trumps both of them on brightness.

Archived