Semi-OT...Should I go with Dream 90's or normal single coils for my Jaguar HH?

Noise...

• Members

Let me start by saying that my Jaguar HH is the best sounding humbucker guitar I've ever played. However, I'm still not a humbucker guy. I love single coils - they get the sound I like, are nice and clear, and are nice and jangly.

Now, I'm debating between going with normal Strat single coils, or getting a pair of Dream 90's from Guitar Fetish.

Which do you guys think would compliment my Jaguar better? Both come out to roughly the same price - with the singles, I could go a LOT cheaper and get humbucker-to-single adapters for ~$5 each. Bringing the total to about $40 for GFS Strat pickups, $25 if I go with their clearance section single coils. Or, I could spend a bit more and get a new pickguard and Jaguar pup covers and do it up right. That would be ~$70 for a mint guard or ~$80 if I go for a tort guard.

The Dream 90's would be $60 for the pair and I wouldn't have to get any kind of pickup adapters or a new pickguard.

Which option do you guys think would be better?

• Members

I don't have any experience with the dream 90's but the GFS pups I have i'm very happy with....that said if it were me I'd go for the 'new guard and regular singles' route....then you have more options on the pickups.

• Members
I don't have any experience with the dream 90's but the GFS pups I have i'm very happy with....that said if it were me I'd go for the 'new guard and regular singles' route....then you have more options on the pickups.

It certainly would look better. Tort or mint guard on a black jaguar is just awesome. :idk:

Plus, you're right on more options for the pickups.

Has anyone had experience with the clearance single coils at GFS? They're like $15 for a set, and if they're good, they could fit the bill...

• Members
It certainly would look better. Tort or mint guard on a black jaguar is just awesome.
:idk:

Plus, you're right on more options for the pickups.

Has anyone had experience with the clearance single coils at GFS? They're like $15 for a set, and if they're good, they could fit the bill...

I'd spend a bit more on the real GFS'...those 'clearence' ones could be anything...and as they admit on the site aren't up to the quality of the GFS....get a nice set of GFS strat pups and sell the middle one on ebay!!

Archived