Hiwatt Custom Tape Echo - can you get nice wow/flutter with it?

animal69

• Members

Regarding the Hiwatt Custom Tape Echo - can you geta nice wow/flutter with it? The ad says "Free running tape system for minimum wow and flutter" ... What I think they don't understand is wow and flutter is one of the major pluses of owning a tape echo because it gives a pleasant chorus effect.

• Members

When the tape is old, you get quite a bit of wow and flutter, but it is pretty clean till that point. You get a little bit on the slower speed settings, too. Fernandes made another tape echo that I think was only available in Japan, but it had a wow and flutter control on it. I don't know why they didn't put it on the Hiwatt one.

But I they'd hurry up and fix mine. I miss that thing.

• Members

When the tape is old, you get quite a bit of wow and flutter, but it is pretty clean till that point. You get a little bit on the slower speed settings, too. Fernandes made another tape echo that I think was only available in Japan, but it had a wow and flutter control on it. I don't know why they didn't put it on the Hiwatt one.

But I they'd hurry up and fix mine. I miss that thing.

So could I just leave it on for an extended period of time?

• Members

Then that would shorten its life until you get the tape replaced. Why not just get a simulator like in the DL4 or Timefactor? Easier, cheaper and less hassle during repair or bringing to gigs. Or why not at the very least get a modulated delay like the Carbon Copy and adjust modulation to get a pseudo wow and flutter since the reason you're looking for wow and flutter is to get a slight chorus?

• Members

You wouldn't really want to do it that way. By the time the tape gets to that point, it's already pretty far gone it gets unusable pretty quick. Like greenweenie said, a simulator or an analog delay with modulation would be a better choice than the Hiwatt if you want wow and flutter.

But the Hiwatt is still a lovely sounding unit if you can live without wow and flutter (or feel like riding an expression pedal to make manual wow and flutter).

Archived