EHX Holiest Grail?

• Members

Any thoughts, opinions, reviews?

HoliestGrail.jpg

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I'm seriously GASing for this pedal. Whats the general consensus? I'm thinking about picking one up and simplifying my setup. I'm going for that kinda ambient/post-rock/shoegaze sound. Like Mogwai meets Sigur Ros meets MBV.

I'm thinking about going from this:

fender 72' tele - ehx russian big muff - ibanez ts7 - ehx lbm - devi disaster fuzz - ibanez fz7 - ehx nano small stone - ehx stereo pulsar - ibanez pm7 - ehx smm/h - ibanez de7 - fender hot rod deluxe

To this:

fender 72' tele - ehx russian big muff - ehx holiest grail - fender hot rod deluxe + extension cab

I rarely use my mod effects and I'm really satisfied with the sound i get from the just russian big muff. i use delay pretty much for ambience except when i'm doing noise which i can recreate using my mc-808's sampler. help?

• Members

I have a few different reverb stompboxes, and it definitely is the most complete among them (RV-3, XP-400, Holier Grail). It has infinite decay, so you'll have no trouble copping the Sigur Ros vibe. The dry output and the reverb output have their own sliders :love:

I'm actually going to spend some time with it today to see if I can't replicate all of the presets in the Holier Grail. If I can, then I'm going to sell off the Holier Grail.

Clips to come...

• Members

I just spent some time trying to program the closest possible approximations of the presets of the Holier Grail into the Holiest Grail.

I've found that the Holiest cannot replicate the tone of the Holier. These are two completely independent reverb boxes in their own right.

The Holiest is brighter than the Holier, but it doesn't get the dark qualities of the Holier, which is a shame, but is a good reason to hold on to the Holier.

The Holiest has true stereo reverb, and it sounds huge.

The Holier has 2 outputs: blend or reverb only.

Both options are great, but neither can do what the other does.

I was going to sell off the Holier Grail, but now I'm not sure :(

• Members

I just spent some time trying to program the closest possible approximations of the presets of the Holi
er
Grail into the Holi
est
Grail.

I've found that the Holi
est
cannot replicate the tone of the Holi
er
. These are two completely independent reverb boxes in their own right.

The Holi
est
is brighter than the Holi
er
, but it doesn't get the dark qualities of the Holi
er
, which is a shame, but is a good reason to hold on to the Holi
er

The Holi
est
has true stereo reverb, and it sounds huge.

The Holi
er
has 2 outputs: blend or reverb only.

Both options are great, but neither can do what the other does.

I was going to sell off the Holier Grail, but now I'm not sure
:(

very interesting

got any pics of your current boards?:cool:

• Members

thanks for the response. did you guys hear the last bit on the video? the resonator preset. it sounds pretty incredible.
:love:
im going to order one next week.

sh333 is selling one in the SPAM thread for decent price http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29080720&postcount=67

Yeah, I was playing around with the resonator preset this morning. Very cool noisemaker, though it wasn't instantly apparent how to use it yet. The delay section (which is integral to the resonator) is a great feature, allowing for some really experimental textures.

• Members

sounds awesome. i just ordered one from proguitarshop.com. they are selling them new for $220. could you records some clips maybe?

Better yet, I'll post some pics of the settings I found.

The sliders are very sensitive to the slightest difference, so you might need to tweak accordingly, but at least this will provide an approximation. A few of these settings are attempts to copy the Holier Grail presets.

Long Decay Reverb:

2679906298_d55de0ac03.jpg

Empty Room Reverb:

2679904840_22e16d3d3a.jpg

Long Spring Reverb:

2679083899_ef9a28ec49.jpg

Slapback Reverb:

2679901650_b0cc094a98.jpg

Large Hall Reverb:

2679898906_114691ef90.jpg

Archived