Help IDing a pedal! Big Muff content.

ed_sped2

• Members

I just found this pedal in my closet, and I don't know if its one of the "vintage" pedals that kick ass, or if its a cheap reissue. I can't plug it in (roommates+guitar at midnight=bad) to test it, so I don't know if it works.

Do these pedals have any common problems that I should test it for?

IMG_0646.jpg

• Members

That's an early 90's green (duh!) Sovtek BMP. My favorite big muff of all time.

Common problems are malfunctioning footswitches and input/output jacks. But if it hasn't been abused, it can last a long time (although the switches really are flimsy). It's not TBP and will probably rob your signal of noticeable amount of high end.

But when you find the sweet spot, it sounds AWESOME!

Good find!

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Here's the obligatory follow-up question:

This thing isn't a part of my rig, so if I sold it, I wouldn't miss it. Is it worth hanging on to for collector's sake? Or is it just some other pedal that will never appreciate in value/rarity?

• Members

They've jumped up in price a lot over the last year or two and a lot of people seem to be recognizing that they actually sound really good when you set them up right. You wouldn't do wrong to sell it now or hold on to it. Judgment call.

• Members

How do you just find that in your closet?

I was rummaging around my piles of crap that I hadn't seen in a few years, and it was laying there in a box. I guess I stashed it away the last time I moved, and never unpacked it.

Archived